Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-30-2008, 05:24 PM   #1

Share |

Concrete steps

I built a form and poured concrete steps up to a pool area. 7 steps a landing and 5 more steps. They came out better than I expected but not perfect. I have 3 options. I can do nothing and live with what I have, I can set the steps with natural stone, or I can refinish the steps with a layer of type N mortar maybe with a latex additive. I live in NJ so freeze/thaw is an issue. Can the refinishing be done successfully? That is what I really want to do.
Attached Thumbnails
Concrete steps-dsc00535a.jpg  

Shadowchase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2008, 07:29 PM   #2

Concrete steps

What's wrong with them? From the picture I can't tell (aside from the rise variance at the bottom ). Are there voids or did the surface not finish very well?

I like the stone idea. You could use thinset and install some sort of stone. That would look nice with the adjacent stone wall.

I'm not a big fan of capping anything outdoors with more mortar. It'll look like a patch job and probably won't hold up that well.

Nice looking yard place you have there. Welcome to the site!

Termite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2008, 11:57 AM   #3

Concrete steps

Thank you for you compliment and response. The variance is allowance for more stone in the driveway or blacktop one day.
That's what I figured about the mortar. I guess when a house is stuccoed, it holds up because it's a vertical surface and sheds the water that might otherwise freeze?
I was just hoping maybe someone took the risk and was successful.
Shadowchase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2008, 02:16 PM   #4

Concrete steps

nice job!

i think they'd look fabulous veneered in slate. of course, its all personal taste.

veneering in slate is pretty easy given a diamond blade and an angle grinder and actually pretty fun.
jupiter2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2008, 03:08 PM   #5
General Contractor

Concrete steps

You might consider "cutting" the surface and then applying acid stain to match the slate. Seal it well, and you should be good. Nice looking job..

joasis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2008, 06:01 PM   #6
ICF Construction

Concrete steps

Or consider an overlay system, the skys the limit these days with the newer products and what can be achieved