Concrete Step Repair & Slate - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-02-2007, 01:32 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

concrete step repair & slate

Hi,
I have some cracking and chipping damage on my front concrete steps probably due to wear & tear and rock salt. The previous owner obviously skim coated the top of a few of the steps and that's what is chipping away. At this point i'd like to possibly put some slate treads on top and repair the risers with concrete or brick if it's not too thick.

I have a few questions:

1. What is the best thickness of slate when using it for steps?
2. Does anyone have suggestions as to which product would be best to use when laying in the slate?
3. What is the best (longest lasting) product to use for fixing the the non-slated areas?

Thanks for any info!
Attached Thumbnails
concrete step repair & slate-img_0284.jpg   concrete step repair & slate-img_0287.jpg   concrete step repair & slate-img_0285.jpg  

Advertisement

gemelli2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2007, 09:44 PM   #2
Kyle Emerick

Rewards Points: 75

Since removing the whole thing would be a nightmare, I would use an air hammer or sledge hammer to remove anything at all that is even close to being loose and then run riser boards to reform the steps with some outdoor mortar.

Regarding the slate, I have priced all kinds of slate and all of it was 3/8" thick... and all of it was indoor/outdoor. Slate is a good choice for outdoor steps and I think will look good there... and its pretty cheap.

Advertisement

Old 10-03-2007, 10:11 AM   #3

thanks for your reply,

someone who i talked to suggested 1" bluestone - not sure on the cost but i believe it has the look of slate...which is what i'm going for!

does anyone have any thoughts on adhering the rock to the concrete?

what to use?? a skimcoat of more concrete or some kind of sanded grouting material.
Old 10-03-2007, 12:30 PM   #4
Weekend Builder

Looks like your bottom slab/step has sunken (the picture seems to show a gathering of water and debris near the back, and a larger than normal rise of the first step)... may want to fix that also.
Crackers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2007, 07:00 PM   #5
Kyle Emerick

I talked to two guys at Lowes that worked in the tile area and they both suggested the Mapei Ultraflex2 (Polymer-Modified Mortar). It seems to have worked great so far. It can be used indoors and out. It can be used on floor and wall tile. I used it on my granite and porcelain tiles.

Bluestone is a loose term which is known as many things in many areas but it is own kind of stone and is not slate. It does however have many qualitites of slate and is described as a type of stone that is not easily cut to a specified dimension.

It is mainly found in Pennsylvania, New York and North Carolina.
Old 10-03-2007, 07:38 PM   #6

Thanks for the info Kyle - I appreciate it.
Actually, I live in PA so I should be able to find bluestone readily. I just want something sturdy enough to endure people walking on it and I'll never put salt to melt the ice on it again! kitty litter will do just fine. Hopefully it will last a long time and i can notch it off of the master list of things to do in the house.

Advertisement