Concrete Space B/w Patio & House - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-26-2010, 01:04 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Concrete space b/w patio & house

Hi everyone, first off thanks for all the help, i've learned alot in the last few weeks reading about concrete on here...and ready to apply that knowledge tomorrow!

I'm pouring a patio that butts up against the back of my house. The patio is about 12'x12 plus a walkway.

between the new patio and the house:

1) there should be a small gap right (~1/4")?
2) i read that if I duct tape cardboard to the house and pour the concrete against it, I will be able to pull it out (and what I can't pull out will just get wet and deteriorate). Is that the best/easiest way to get that "gap"?

Thank you everyone!

Advertisement

Drakestar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2010, 01:47 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,458

its called ' expansion joint ' & you can find it at apron stores.

Advertisement

stadry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2010, 01:52 PM   #3

I was thinking of using that, but then I had read somewhere that it just needed to be a space and nothing "fancy", I'll stop by and pick one up.
Old 08-26-2010, 04:06 PM   #4

ok, so I went and looked at the expansion joints at the so called "apron store"

they appear to be about 3" wide and 8' long,

new question:

since the slab will be 6" thick, do I need to place two of these on top of each other to make the 6" or is just one at the top enough? i'm thinking two....but maybe someone here can advise.

thanks
Old 08-26-2010, 04:36 PM   #5

why iz our best friend the utility knife ? ? ?
Old 08-26-2010, 05:17 PM   #6

Wink

maybe someone else can answer since you just seem to be an arogant smartass that is jealous that people might actually like diy and not pay you to do the work (not that it is relevent since most don't live near you).

but thanks for the ideas, just wanted to know if the bought 'joints' have to go from top to bottom or middle to top or middle to bottom.
Old 08-26-2010, 06:45 PM   #7

that means ' use your f'n utility knife to cut the expansion jnt to size, dick**ad ',,, new crete such as your patio shouldn't touch your home's existing fnd walls.

we probably wouldn't get your work even if you did live nearby,,, none of us get pd to post here 'cept i do think jomama get a check every now & then,,, fyi, we have diy tips on our w/site but most don't read 'em & fewer can understand

Last edited by stadry; 08-26-2010 at 06:59 PM.
Old 08-26-2010, 11:20 PM   #8
Concrete & Masonry

Rewards Points: 2,142

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drakestar View Post
just wanted to know if the bought 'joints' have to go from top to bottom or middle to top or middle to bottom.
Top to bottom, yes. If the slab is 6" thick, you can always just order the expansion material with the ready-mix truck. 1/4" or 1/2" material will both suffice.

The most common material is good old-fashioned "felt". If you're concerned about that material slowly rotting away, you could see what they have for an alternative, as they shouldl carry more than one type. The rooled foam type (which is typically perferated at the top to remove & caulk over later) or the recycled rubber style will certainly outlast your slab's life, as well as your own.

Quote:
Originally Posted by itsreallyconc View Post
none of us get pd to post here 'cept i do think jomama get a check every now & then,,,
WTF, no one was supposed to know that.........................................:whis tling2:

Advertisement

jomama45 is offline   Reply With Quote