Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-03-2013, 07:19 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Concrete slab quote $2750 for an 18X31 slab

I'm located in Louisiana and I've called around getting some quotes for having a concrete slab built for a metal garage. I'll need the grass taken up and have everything done from start to finish. For the job, I've had quotes ranging from $2000 to $6800 for an 18X31 slab. The last quote I got seems to be a reliable company since I went through a neighbor to contact them and they quoted me at $2750.

Should I hang on a bit and keep going through other contractors for more quotes, or would you say that $2750 is probably a good price to have the 18X31 slab done? Seems maybe a little high but I'm not sure. That's about $5 per square foot and he also mentioned that it was about a 3-day job.

Last edited by HSLand; 02-03-2013 at 07:23 PM.
HSLand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 07:28 PM   #2
journeyman carpenter

Rewards Points: 2,054

you cant realy ask people online that. labor rates for finishing as well as $/ cubic yard varies region to region

your looking at roughly $1100 and another $150 for delivery depending on the mixture and local pricing.. then the extra for labour. so that price seems about right.. typical rule of thumb is cost of materail x2

woodworkbykirk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 08:04 PM   #3
MarginallyQualified

Rewards Points: 2,036

Quote:
Originally Posted by HSLand View Post
I've had quotes ranging from $2000 to $6800 for an 18X31 slab.
That wide a range indicates that the requirements and expectations are not clear.
Do you have ANY written specs to work from?
Have you done any calculations on the cubic yards involved?
Soil removed/relocated? Gravel bed type/thickness?
Grade of concrete? Thickness? Finish quality?

Any utilities to be installed within that area?
Permits? Inspections? County engineer? Plans?
TarheelTerp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 08:09 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 3,086

Plumbing wiring, could be anyone of at least three differant slab styles.
What the grade? Level, sloped?
Whats the frost depth?
joecaption is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 08:13 PM   #5

I need 8 yards of concrete. I don't need any plans written, just an 18X31 concrete slab at 4" thick simply. As mentioned the grass will need to be removed because that's just standard with the job. Nothing else you mentioned needs to be done.

So yeah, just a simple 18X31X4 concrete slab, nothing fancy.
Old 02-03-2013, 08:18 PM   #6

You need to build it something like this, not just a flat slab.
http://www.bing.com/images/search?q=...electedIndex=6
Old 02-03-2013, 08:23 PM   #7
Mod

Rewards Points: 2,196

Quote:
Originally Posted by HSLand View Post
I need 8 yards of concrete. I don't need any plans written, just an 18X31 concrete slab at 4" thick simply. As mentioned the grass will need to be removed because that's just standard with the job. Nothing else you mentioned needs to be done.

So yeah, just a simple 18X31X4 concrete slab, nothing fancy.
Around here, $3600-$4000 for what you're describing.
The Following User Says Thank You to kwikfishron For This Useful Post:
oh'mike (02-04-2013)
Old 02-03-2013, 08:23 PM   #8

I'm not sure how the building process works, but really, I'm just trying to check if $2750 sounds like a ballpark price. I had quotes at $2000, $2500, all the way up to $6800. I'll let the contractor worry about how it's built.

But does $2750 seem too high?
Old 02-03-2013, 08:29 PM   #9

If there are 8 yards of concrete involved and it runs at about $105/yard, we're looking at $850, rounded. Tack on an extra $150 for delivery as mentioned and we're at $1k. Then Xs 2 would be about $2k. Tack on a bit for misc. work and it seems like $2750 may be just a bit high.

That's why I wanted to ask here.
Old 02-03-2013, 08:35 PM   #10

May be one reason for the prices being all over the place.
You have to know what your talikng about and tell them exactly what you want, not leave it up to them.
You have to tell them what PSI concrete to use, what type of footing, where and how much rebar, what type finish. poly and foam under it to prevent moisture and cold from getting in, what finish on the surface, foundation bolt placement, aprin or not, what type and where are the doors going, stress cuts or not.
If you just count on them "knowing" how you want it your heading for trouble.
The Following User Says Thank You to joecaption For This Useful Post:
paintdrying (02-04-2013)
Old 02-03-2013, 09:58 PM   #11
Concrete & Masonry

Rewards Points: 2,026

Quote:
Originally Posted by joecaption View Post
May be one reason for the prices being all over the place.
You have to know what your talikng about and tell them exactly what you want, not leave it up to them.
You have to tell them what PSI concrete to use, what type of footing, where and how much rebar, what type finish. poly and foam under it to prevent moisture and cold from getting in, what finish on the surface, foundation bolt placement, aprin or not, what type and where are the doors going, stress cuts or not.
If you just count on them "knowing" how you want it your heading for trouble.
Can you read? It's in LA, putting foam under it would be like peeing in the wind.............

Also there's no reason a competent concrete contractor needs to be told how to install the slab, he/she would know best practice for the region. As a professional, when a HO starts in telling me what they think they need because they read this-or-that on the internet, one of two things is going to happpen: The price is going to increase, or I'll never submit a bid for the job. I realize you may not understand this, as I take it your a handyman/jack-of-all trades, but a true legitimate concrete contractor shouldn't need the hand-holding from a novice HO...........

To the OP, if you've got estimates between $2000 and $6800, then $2750 sounds like it's on the low end, not the high end. Like most things, you get what you pay for..........
jomama45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 05:15 AM   #12

Rewards Points: 2,156

IF you want to use a common denominator ( $$$ ) as your basis w/o knowing what type of work & materials you require, have at it,,, IF you anticipate having all quotes reflect the same specs, why not have pay 1 of your bidders draw up some specs, put them out to bid, & give him the ' last look ' ? ? ? otherwise, it seems to me, you're comparing apples & oranges & don't know which is which or why other than they're different $$$ but you don't know why they're different - after all, its just strip sod & install a simple slab.

from what you've posted, all we know's length, width, & thickness,,, after all the quotes, you should be able to determine quality/method/material differences,,, those who don't/can't/won't find themselves often at the mercy of those receiving the easily-spent but hard-earned $$$ this is as it ought to be,,, if 1 doesn't care enough about his $$$'s value, nor should anyone else & that man is the rightful prey of those who would grab up his $$$

interesting you never mention'd wire mesh, base material, reinforcing steel, turned-down edge, monopour/unipour, joint pattern(s), j-bolts, etc,,, i'd bet they were mention'd in your quotes,,, there's good reasons for them, too

Last edited by stadry; 02-04-2013 at 05:19 AM.
stadry is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to stadry For This Useful Post:
woodworkbykirk (02-04-2013)
Old 02-04-2013, 05:59 AM   #13
DIY staff

Rewards Points: 2,366

Pricing questions never work well here---

This discussion is only happening because you do not have a drawing and specifications.

Every member that has posted a reply sees a different job---

In most areas a slab needs a thickened edge---some areas require mesh---others --rebar----4" layer of compacted gravel--some a layer of foam---all should have a vapor barrier---

J-bolts may be needed to hold a structure----and some jobs require the excavated soil to be removed----permits might be needed

My guess----every one that gave you a price is wrong----because they don't really know what is needed or expected.

2x materials??? never once saw that work----I'm not a concrete man---but does that really work?

And what materials? I didn't see wire or rebar costs listed---will the concrete need to be pumped ?

Hand dug ? Power trowel? broom finish?

Get a spec sheet and drawing-----Four members answered---four different ideas of how to do it---

Good luck---come back with your drawings
Old 02-04-2013, 06:44 AM   #14

Rewards Points: 2,156

NOW you've gone & dunnit our super-duper-moderator's had to take this thread in hand

hopefully we've been able to edumacate you somewhat,,, nevertheless, when all's said & done, its still YOUR project, YOUR $$$, & YOUR home,,, as i always shared w/those who took price over quality, don't worry - you'll have yrs to look at the final product & kick yourself in the *** because you'll have to look at the results every day
stadry is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to stadry For This Useful Post:
oh'mike (02-04-2013)
Old 02-04-2013, 07:23 AM   #15
DIY staff

Rewards Points: 2,366

This new member simply put the cart before the horse-----

HSLAND--- you don't need to make your own drawings---a simple thickened slab drawing can be pull up using Google----then all you need is a drawing showing the placement of doors and the location of your J-bolts.

Many towns around here have the specs on the permit form---google 'thickened slab drawings' and see what you get---

woodworkbykirk (02-04-2013)