Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-15-2011, 01:04 PM   #1

Share |

concrete slab load

Hi I am thinking of changing my roofline. There is a room added onto my house sitting on a slab. The slab is 6 inches thick but does not have a footer.

It is 6 inches of concrete sitting on top of the soil. I live in nashville tn so the winters are cold but not extreem like the northeast.

Right now the roof is a 3:12 but I am looking to change it to an 8:12. So the slab will be bearing more load on the edge. This roof will be sitting atop a 2x4 wall.

I am wondering if the slab will start breaking on the edge or if I have nothing to worry about because after all... it is conctete and concrete is strong. Here are some pics of what I got right now

If you could picture the roof going from the front all the way to the back and do away with the compound pitch
Attached Thumbnails
concrete slab load-roof-008.jpg   concrete slab load-roof-010.jpg   concrete slab load-roof-011.jpg  

bluebird5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2011, 11:53 PM   #2
Residential Designer

Send a message via Skype™ to AndyGump

concrete slab load

You really need to have footings and a good overall design before starting. Talk to an Architect or if too expensive a good designer in you area. From the description of work it sounds like an awful lot of work for a DIY project.

Andy.

AndyGump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2011, 04:18 AM   #3

concrete slab load

IN n'ville or just outside ? 1st ck w/bldg permit/const office to see what you need,,, i'm in ga & some parts down here don't care while others ***** & moan if you lop off a tree limb ( guess where my bride, nagzilla, wants to live ) w/o a permit,,, you won't be adding a lot of static weight.
stadry is offline   Reply With Quote