Concrete Slab For Dog Kennel - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-18-2011, 01:00 PM   #1
dIYHell

Rewards Points: 150

concrete slab for dog kennel

I have a 5X10 dog kennel that I want to put on a concrete slab. Ive done lots of different DIY project but a newbie to concrete slabs. I was thinking of creating a form out of 2x4s so its about 3.5" thick would this be good enough, should I put down rebar? if so how. should I put gravel on the dirt before pouring concrete? I was just planning on using a wheelbarrow to mix concrete, do I have to worry about it setting up to fast

Advertisement

rocketdoctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2011, 03:50 PM   #2
Old School

Location: St. Petersburg, FL Minds of moderate caliber ordinarily condemn everything which is beyond them.
Rewards Points: 2,000

Just a 'haunched slab' LIKE THIS, and it doesn't have to be quite this deep or wide..... 6 or 8 inches, just enough to sink some anchors in for the kennel tiedowns. No rebar needed.

How fast can you mix concrete? I'd try to rent a mixer. It's a lot more work than you might be anticipating. One man mixing and pouring it out, and one man 'pulling' it and finishing it.

Gravel would be a nice touch in colder climates, but a bit of overkill for such a small, light usage California slab. Just make sure you compact the soil real well.

Advertisement

Last edited by Willie T; 04-18-2011 at 03:58 PM.
Willie T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2011, 08:27 PM   #3
Learning by Doing

If you are going to put your pup on concrete. Please, please please make sure to:
- plan to shade part of the enclosure - no one likes walking on hot concrete.
- provide sufficient space to get off of the concrete (dog house/platform/etc) concrete is HARD on dog's paws and elbows.
Old 04-18-2011, 08:39 PM   #4
dIYHell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leah Frances View Post
If you are going to put your pup on concrete. Please, please please make sure to:
- plan to shade part of the enclosure - no one likes walking on hot concrete.
- provide sufficient space to get off of the concrete (dog house/platform/etc) concrete is HARD on dog's paws and elbows.
thanks for your concerns, the kennel structure was premade with good shade, its also on the shady side of house. My dog spends most of his time inside I just want a place to keep him other than a crate when we are gone for long periods of time. thanks for the advice that concrete is hard on them I am planning on adding a dog house to the side as well.
Attached Thumbnails
concrete slab for dog kennel-kennel2.jpg  

Last edited by rocketdoctor; 04-18-2011 at 08:42 PM.
Old 04-18-2011, 08:44 PM   #5
Learning by Doing

The things we do for our dogs, right?
Old 04-18-2011, 09:07 PM   #6
Concrete & Masonry

Rewards Points: 2,144

Willie & Leah offered you good info, & I'd add to just add a little bit of pitch (maybe 1/8" per foot or so) to the slab & a joint down the center can't hurt.

I actually did a wood floor under our dogs kennel years ago, I just can't remember why now............
jomama45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2011, 09:15 PM   #7
Old School

Location: St. Petersburg, FL Minds of moderate caliber ordinarily condemn everything which is beyond them.

We are very strict with our dog. We refuse to pamper him!

Yes, DangerMouse, that's me. Surprise, surprise.
Attached Thumbnails
concrete slab for dog kennel-gordy-me-647x436.jpg   concrete slab for dog kennel-img_0014.jpg   concrete slab for dog kennel-gordy-flat-stanley-1-.jpg   concrete slab for dog kennel-gordy-yak-1.jpg   concrete slab for dog kennel-12-12-2005-24.jpg  

Last edited by Willie T; 04-18-2011 at 09:20 PM.
Old 04-18-2011, 09:23 PM   #8
Learning by Doing

My new dog, Bing, says 'Hi' to your dog.
Attached Images

Old 04-18-2011, 09:40 PM   #9
Old School

Leah, this is my 2,000th post. I can't think of a beter way to send it than with a return greeting to Bing.

Gordy says, "Woof-woof"!
Old 04-18-2011, 10:15 PM   #10
Learning by Doing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willie T View Post
Leah, this is my 2,000th post. I can't think of a beter way to send it than with a return greeting to Bing.

Gordy says, "Woof-woof"!
I especially like Gordy's Kayak keeper.

None of my four dogs are spoiled. Not my aging Doxie who gets carried up and down stairs (Milhouse).

Not my shepherd mix who gets to stand in the dishwasher and 'clean' the dirty dishes before I run it (Crakie).

Not my schnauzer-mix, who has dozens of squeaky-toys stashed around the house (Bing). Her pic is above in the thread.

And not my lab-mix who gets to get on our bed every night and snuggle before we kennel him up for the night (Burin).
Old 04-18-2011, 10:52 PM   #11
Old School

Cute puppies. And I KNOW you make them tow the line.

Gordy has a new and improved kayak caddy now. I mounted longitudinal tubes on the rear sides of both our kayaks and made two rectangular PVC rail boxes to 'snap fit' onto them. (Takes three seconds to mount or dismount them, yet they are solidly in place when paddling.) They both hold a forty quart (I think that's the size... about 20"x30"?) Igloo cooler each. Gordy uses one of them with a vinyl covered foam mat in the bottom for his stateroom while on the water.

Last edited by Willie T; 04-18-2011 at 11:02 PM.
Old 04-19-2011, 02:38 PM   #12
dIYHell

Quote:
Originally Posted by jomama45 View Post
Willie & Leah offered you good info, & I'd add to just add a little bit of pitch (maybe 1/8" per foot or so) to the slab & a joint down the center can't hurt.

I actually did a wood floor under our dogs kennel years ago, I just can't remember why now............
should the joint be all the way through the concrete ? I read on another site just to cut a 1/8 groove with skillsaw a day after the concrete cures?
Old 04-19-2011, 03:04 PM   #13
Old School

Really should be at least 1/4 of the depth of the slab... 7/8" to 1" for your 3-1/2" slab.
But, yes, it is pretty important to cut it as soon as you can get on it. Don't wait a full day or anything. Usually first thing in the morning if you poured the previous afternoon.

And do try to get a smooth, slick finish on the concrete. A 'broom finish' is murder on a dog's feet and elbows. It's also harder to clean.

Last edited by Willie T; 04-19-2011 at 03:20 PM.
Old 04-19-2011, 03:13 PM   #14
Concrete & Masonry

Rewards Points: 2,144

Yep, 1/4 the depth minimum. May be easiest just to buy a cheap jointer to tool it in when the concrete's still wet.
jomama45 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jomama45 For This Useful Post:
Willie T (04-19-2011)
Old 04-21-2011, 02:09 PM   #15

Rewards Points: 75

Honestly, a nice plywood deck might be easier on his feet! And easier on your back to make!

I built my (late) dog an "Ontario dog house". Wow, I can't believe the plans are online now! I built it over 20 years ago.

http://www.ontariospca.ca/docs/Ideal_Doghouse.pdf

It took a whole weekend to make and she sat in it maybe 3 times. Bah!

Advertisement

Vincer is offline   Reply With Quote