Concrete Slab ?? - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-16-2009, 03:41 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Concrete Slab ??

Will be tearing off old deck that is built over a concrete septic tank.I would like to replace the deck with a stamped concrete patio.My builder has not absolutely confirmed this can be done.Can a slab be poured over a septic tank?Thanks

Advertisement

workalot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2009, 04:20 PM   #2
Licensed P.E./Home Insp

Rewards Points: 500

Concrete Slab ??

Not in my neck of the woods. Best person to call is your township health department. They typically have jurisdiction over septic systems. In my area they let you do pretty much anything over the tank (pavers, landscaping) except construct permanent features on it or within a certain number of feet of it. But your town's health department should be consulted for the local rules in your area. That's a 1 minute phone call.

I'm actually kind of shocked they let you construct a deck over it in the first place. They don't allow that where I am.

Advertisement

Aggie67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2009, 04:25 PM   #3
Drywall contractor

Rewards Points: 1,044

Concrete Slab ??

Agreed, whether your contractor can or cannot answer the question, the building dept. can and they're the ones you have to satisfy. Even if you're attempting to get in "under the radar" without a permit, it could come back to haunt you when you get ready to sell. You may be able to do it if you install an access for the purpose of pumping it out when necessary. I kind of doubt it though....
Old 08-16-2009, 04:45 PM   #4
Wire Chewer

Rewards Points: 2,020

Concrete Slab ??

Personally even if you can I would not. What if it breaks and starts leaking or something and needs to be repaired? I would maybe put a wood deck instead, and maybe even construct in a way so it's easy to remove the deck and put it back, in case it ever needs to be done.
Red Squirrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2009, 11:11 PM   #5
Concrete & Masonry

Rewards Points: 2,144

Concrete Slab ??

I've done it several times, one was even a driveway over a septic tank. BUT, as noted above, you really should consult with the local agency (county ext., enviro. health dept. here) to see if it's allowed. For the driveway, it was a new system & I worked closely with the septic contractor. He ordered a heavier tank for this job & we constructed the slab to act as a bridge, of sorts, to spread all the weight. If the tank has risers & cover that need to be accessed, the slab CANNOT rest on the risers or it will eventually destroy the tank.
jomama45 is offline   Reply With Quote