Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-29-2008, 05:04 PM   #1
worm can opener

Rewards Points: 25

concrete slab

I have a 20'x28' basement that I would like to pour a slab in. I am wondering how I can pour and finish the slab in one shot. The only obstructions in the room our two 30"x30" footings upon which rest 8"x8" posts. I haven't checked yet but I think When I poured the footings I planned on them being flush with the slab.
I would be very greatful for either instruction or an informative link on this process.
fyi, I will have the concrete delivered.

Thanks, Frank

Wahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2008, 06:21 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 500

concrete slab

just mho BUT - if you haven't done this before, its not a task i'd suggest trying ESPECIALLY if you want to finish the space in the future,,, its not that difficult for those who're experienced,,, for diy-er beginners, it'll be a nitemare w/o trained help, frank.

560 sf - 7cy's not a 1-man job.

yesitsconcrete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2008, 11:48 AM   #3
Another DIY Zombie

Rewards Points: 250

concrete slab

I 2nd the above answer.

However if you have a friend "in the know" that can do this, then have him act as a foreman and get a lot of friends to come over as muscle, etc. This can be done, but think it through before you jump into it.
javan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2008, 01:16 PM   #4
worm can opener

Rewards Points: 25

concrete slab

I have plenty of help, 1 or 2, who are not neccesarily "in the know" but experianced. The room will never be finished it will be storage, maybe a bit of a wood working shop. one of the main things I don't understand is how you screed with no frames?
Wahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2008, 03:22 PM   #5
Another DIY Zombie

concrete slab

Well, there is an example. From what I recall (been a long time since I worked on a basement), you mark the level line of the floor on the wall (chalked or marker or use a laser level), then you screed the concrete in small sections, as it is pooured, then screed. Picture somebody screeding, while standing in hip-waiters, in concrete. Basically, they screed, starting from the corner, where the pour starts, and work their way back towards the exit. Again, it helps to have knowledgeable peolple there.....
Old 07-30-2008, 06:16 PM   #6

concrete slab

our easiest way would be to pound pieces of #3 bar into the base leaving 1 end at the desired elevation,,, level & rod to ck elevation,,, then conc rakes & screed the floor prior to floating & finishing,,, don't forget the jnt pattern to prevent random cracking.
Old 07-31-2008, 07:12 AM   #7
Another DIY Zombie

concrete slab

"..our easiest way would be to pound pieces of #3 bar into the base leaving 1 end at the desired elevation.."

I wish I had done it that way years ago. Great idea!
Old 07-31-2008, 08:57 AM   #8

concrete slab

another method's placing bkts of conc & finish to the desired elevation,,, use those for screed references,,, problem's the trk's onsite & this takes TIME,,, we only get 1 hr to dump before addl chgs start piling up.
Old 07-31-2008, 09:05 AM   #9
BUILDER / REMODELING CONT

Rewards Points: 1,000

concrete slab

Yesitsconcrete has the same approach that we take. We also take a 1x2 and cut it the length of the desired ceiling height. and check by holding it from the bottom of the floor joist to the top of the pour. Also you said you planed on the 30" x 30" pads to be even with the floor. Expect to have the concrete floor crack from those outside corners. BOB

buletbob is offline   Reply With Quote