Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-07-2007, 08:47 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Concrete Slab

What is the average cost of a poured concrete slab 36x24? I'm in Virginia. I'm planning the build of my Garage and I'm trying to do it for the least amount of money....no cutting corners.....just don't want to pay 40K for something I could probably get 10 guys over to the house with some plans and build it in a couple of weeks...for beer and BBQ oh an the game on my home theater system..LOL!!

Almost forgot....

Is it cheaper to build your own trusses or buy already built?

Last edited by Smitty; 09-07-2007 at 08:50 PM.
Smitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2007, 07:30 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 75
Cool

Concrete Slab

It's very hard to come up with a cost for a project unless you are "in the know" of the local area, the plans, the specifications, the conditions at the site, whether it's the whole job including prep or just the concrete portion. That being said I know what you're getting at- you don't have any idea what this would cost so you want a starting point. $3800, 5" of concrete, 3000 psi, slab on grade, slab base, fine grading, forms, vapor barrier, wire mesh, finishing and curing.

I would always opt for the pre-built trusses. The things are engineered. Unless you're an engineer you probably won't be able to factor in not just the roof loads but the prevailing wind loads, the proper sized members so their own weight doesn't become a factor and the proper fasteners that aren't going to allow unstable deflection, etc, etc. And to be honest I think a factory can do it quicker and cheaper than a few guys with some saw horses, skill saws, and a couple cases of beer (although it probably wouldn't be as much fun). That being said there will undoubtedly be those who will insist a DIY truss is a piece of cake. Peace of mind is what it's all about.

__________________________________________________ ___________
News Views Commentary Tips Downloads at the Construction Informer

DeeTee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2007, 09:09 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 75

Concrete Slab

Hand framing is quicker if you have not worked with trusses before, and it is more satisfying.

Out of the last five jobs I have had two with inconsistent heel heights. Inconsistent heel heights causes the roof edge to go wildly up and down.

This caused me hours of screwing around to fix the trusses. Both times I got compensated by the truss manufacturers but unless you have a relationship with them they will probably tell you your on your own.

For cutting rafters, make one pattern and trace that pattern onto all the others.

You may need to educate yourself on how to cut rafters with a birds mouth, and there is some math involved. So if this is not a strong suit maybe trusses would be better for you.
jiggyjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2007, 09:32 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 10

Concrete Slab

I think I will go with already made trusses....but if the plans I'm buying have the design already in them then I guess the engineering part is done. I'm buying the plans for this garage....this is the link to it.
http://www.justgarageplans.com/plan.php?planID=173

Hopefully after figuring out the concrete then the trusses I can move on to total amount of material needed to make this happen. A contractor here wants 35k to build it....I believe I can build it myself for less.....but isn't that what this is all about...LOL!!
Smitty is offline   Reply With Quote