Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-18-2011, 06:53 PM   #1

Share |

Concrete sidewalk to foundation gap.

Hi All,

I have an old house, approaching 90 years old. The entire house is surrounded by concrete either a pad for the patio or sidewalks. There is a Gap between the concrete and the house itself, in some places as much as half an inch or more. It is filled with gravel, weeds, you name it. It looked like it was caulked at one point but by what I have no idea. I am trying to seal it as we have water issues in the basement. What is the best method to seal this gap between the house and the concrete? I was debating pouring more concrete in but if the pad shifts, it will just crack again.

Any help would be most welcome!
Thanks in Advance.

Last edited by Khamul; 08-18-2011 at 06:55 PM.
Khamul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 06:55 PM   #2

Concrete tilt up guys hire a caulking crew to seal the panel gaps.
I think the product you are looking for is rubber based and may be called buytle>?

Marbledust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 07:59 PM   #3

It was an expansion joint. Clean out the joint and use a self leveling sealant. Sika makes a product you can use. If the gap is too deep, insert a backer rod 1/2-3/4" below the surface and cover it with the sealant.
The gap needs to be clean and dry.
Mason supply stores and Home Depot carry the product or another brand.
Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2011, 12:30 AM   #4

prep-prep,clean clean very good,backer rod excl. choice.try to mantain 1/2" deep for caulk,something
that stay plyable.Not HD/or other box stores.Keep caulk a little high,as the concrete expans,the caulking will move with it.the backer rod is a round foam materal like rope.We do use it on bridge decks as well as tilt-up construction. ken--.

We all no alot but can only do a little-----.
kchunt is offline   Reply With Quote