Concrete Shower? - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-12-2010, 07:26 PM   #1
Just call me Andrew

Rewards Points: 1,012

Concrete shower?

I mentioned this in the thread I started about my bathroom remodel, but I wanted to get more information about a concrete shower, so I think it warrants its own thread. I am in the process of finding a contractor to build me a custom shower. I have never done tilework before, so I think it makes sense to have it done professionally.

One contractor says he uses CTI Brand concrete to make showers (floor and wall). It sounds to me like some sort of stamped concrete. He said it can be any color, and can look just like tile.

The concrete company's website: http://www.designcti.com/

Thoughts on this for a shower stall? Is it durable? Can it be bright? My original plan was for white tile in the bathroom, since it will be small. Has anyone had any experience with this type of product? Thanks.

Advertisement

secutanudu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2010, 07:50 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 500

Concrete shower?

I built my owne cutome shower and it was some work but not all that hard to do so you mught want to think about doing it yourself.As for this product your contractor wants to use,I have never used it but from all the pics and reading what the company says it really dose not seam like the right application.I used a concret mix called Sand Toppin mix that you can get at any box store.It allows you to work it it to the places you need and form the slope for drainage but what I used nor what he wants would be worth a dang if you dont put down a water proof membrain so my question is this why use a more expensive product when it going to get covered any way and what differance will the color of it make when he puts a membrain over it.Personaly I would stick with the tried and tested way before letting someone who I going to pay come in and try this.You also might want to go through and read some of the other threads on here about buildin a shower their is a ton of good advice and links showing just how it should be done.........good luck

Advertisement

clasact is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2010, 06:17 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 626

Concrete shower?

My neighbor just had similar stuff put on his driveway and it looks awesome.

However, for a shower I would be concerned. They seem to use it on indoor floors, so it must be pretty smooth, but I find it hard to imagine that this stuff is going to be as smooth as the glazing on tile. Any texture is going to accumulate soap scum, and be rather difficult to clean because of the texture. For a shower, I would be suggesting nice big tiles that result in a minumum of grout lines to maintain.
SPS-1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 03:16 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 2,486

Concrete shower?

just did the bsmt shower which i use when in from work,,, funny thing's i made it ' look ' like tile but its really ' elitecrete ' applied over expand'd wire mesh attach'd to hardibacker,,, on top's epoxy & all's seal'd w/aliphatic urethane.

cti's an acrylic-bas'd product & we're replaced several pool & d/w coatings - eC contains integral polymers & is a just add wtr mix - MUCH easier & more consistent mix's + the conc doesn't have to be dry to apply,,, knowing the industry / craft from the inside ( products / longevity of manufacturers / distributor support to the installers ), we picked eC,,, however, when all's said & done, its the guy on the end of the trowel who's the common denominator & deciding factor imo,,, nevertheless, you'll do what you want - good luck !

stadry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 07:33 AM   #5
Just call me Andrew

Rewards Points: 1,012

Concrete shower?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPS-1 View Post
For a shower, I would be suggesting nice big tiles that result in a minumum of grout lines to maintain.
I think this is what I'm going to do. Thanks for the input guys.

secutanudu is offline   Reply With Quote