Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-25-2011, 07:22 AM   #1

Share |

Concrete shed turned office - leak

Hi there! So glad I found this site. I have a leak problem...can't imagine where the water is getting in, but we saw it on the floor of a concrete block shed set that we turned into an office. The roof is brand new so we are pretty sure it's not getting in that way - in fact, we thought it might be coming in along the bottom of the wall. So we put silicone in a 1/2 inch space that was there along the bottom of the wall and then more inside, under the baseboard. To no avail - after a week out of town (with the heater/air-conditioner off) we discovered thick mold growing all over the molding around the window on that same wall. Pulled off the baseboard and cut out some of the drywall at the bottom and found a small amount of mold. Any ideas how I can determine the origin of the leak? And then prevent water from getting in? I'm not sure who to go to or what to ask to find out. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated!!

harpcomm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 08:31 AM   #2
Stay-at-home GC

Pictures of inside and outside. Close-ups but more importantly perspective views for overall eval.

Some days, my Life needs a Rewind/Erase Button.
CplDevilDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 08:41 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by harpcomm View Post
Hi there! So glad I found this site. I have a leak problem...can't imagine where the water is getting in, but we saw it on the floor of a concrete block shed set that we turned into an office. The roof is brand new so we are pretty sure it's not getting in that way - in fact, we thought it might be coming in along the bottom of the wall. So we put silicone in a 1/2 inch space that was there along the bottom of the wall and then more inside, under the baseboard. To no avail - after a week out of town (with the heater/air-conditioner off) we discovered thick mold growing all over the molding around the window on that same wall. Pulled off the baseboard and cut out some of the drywall at the bottom and found a small amount of mold. Any ideas how I can determine the origin of the leak? And then prevent water from getting in? I'm not sure who to go to or what to ask to find out. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated!!
You might have multiple issues. The window might be leaking and running down the wall and there might be a floor leak.
As stated, post pictures.
Check exterior drainage and gutters(for clogs).
Ron
Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote