Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-06-2008, 08:59 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Concrete screw up

My wife and I were trying to add another 2 inches to an existing concrete slab. We got a late start early yesterday evening as we grossly underestimated the time it would take for mixing etc. and we finished the mixing and pouring around 1 am last night. We did not have a chance to strike off smooth it out. This morning it looks really bad... Aggregate at the surface, and very uneven. Now the concrete is partial set, is there anything we can do to fix it at this point?
Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

riotact is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2008, 09:20 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,000

Concrete screw up

Too late to modify the stuff you poured last night. The hydration process has already taken hold, and although the concrete is still "green", messing with it will do more damage than good, and could compromise its integrity, looks aside.

My suggestion would be to look into self-leveling (flowable) concrete to cap the bad job. Contact a local batch plant.

Termite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2008, 09:31 AM   #3

Concrete screw up

Quote:
Originally Posted by thekctermite View Post
Too late to modify the stuff you poured last night. The hydration process has already taken hold, and although the concrete is still "green", messing with it will do more damage than good, and could compromise its integrity, looks aside.

My suggestion would be to look into self-leveling (flowable) concrete to cap the bad job. Contact a local batch plant.
Thanks. Would a concrete resurfacer be the same thing? And if so can it be done immediately or will I have to wait for it to fully cure?
Old 07-06-2008, 01:20 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 2,000

Concrete screw up

Concrete resurfacer is the bag version of what I'm talking about. I think it is super-expensive in bags.

You can overlay the ugly slab as soon as you want. Concrete will continue to harden for a long time, but develops the bulk of its strength in 4 weeks. Covering it with more concrete won't impede the curing process. You're safe to walk on it the day after pouring.
Termite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2008, 01:58 PM   #5
General Contractor

Rewards Points: 500

Concrete screw up

What kind of prep did you do to the existing slab before you poured the 2 inches? Bonding agent? Scarifier used? There is very little strength in a 2 inch "cap" on concrete, especially if it doesn't bond with the existing slab. If the area isn't that large, break it up...or you may wait a few days and it will crack anyway . Not being negative here, just informative. Was there a reason you wanted to raise the slab 2 inches?

joasis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2008, 01:59 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 75

Concrete screw up

How big of an area are you talking about. Now you can bust it out and redo if you want. It will break easy if still green.
BillyD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2008, 03:09 PM   #7

Concrete screw up

This is riotact's wife. We are in the process of ripping it out right now.
Before pouring the new concrete we power washed the old concrete stoop and applied Weldbond just before the pour.

I think there were several factors at play here. One being that we had to use two different types of concrete. The first was fiber reinforced Quikrete, which actually turned out very well, however we ran out and needed to get more. Unfortunatey Home Depot in Canada does not sell the fiber re-inforced so we ended up using the Quikrete 5000.
I even noticed last night that the Quikrete 5000 seemed to have more aggregate in it.

We are now back to pondering what to do with the stoop. We had a 1 1/2 inch gab under the door sill that went back to the wood joist because bricks had rotted away. The flagstone on the stoop was all loose and falling off.
So now to decide where to go from there. We thought we'd save ourselves some money by doing the concrete...... now we just wasted $150.
Old 07-06-2008, 06:29 PM   #8

Rewards Points: 75

Concrete screw up

Not wasted you learned a lot. Now plan to do it over and learn from this trial run. Now you know how much concrete you need and how much time. You can do it. How did bricks rot away?
BillyD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2008, 06:34 PM   #9

Concrete screw up

not having seen it i would have suggested fixing the flagstone... which is usually much more rich looking that cement slab. do you still have enough nice flagstone? some S type cement is all you need to place these down again.

jupiter2000 is offline   Reply With Quote