Concrete Repair And Sealing - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-14-2010, 09:46 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 150

concrete Repair and Sealing

We'd like to
  • seal gaps of 1/2" to 1" between horizontal-horizontal and horizontal-vertical concrete slabs.
  • remove rust stains (most came up, but there is one set that is there for good i think)
  • remove chicken poop stains
  • seal concrete
    • we've seen on "www.askthebuilder.com" that a silicone sealant should not be used. rather a silane/silicone sealant (the two big box stores say they don't carry that). but i'm seeing varied recommendations here. i've no idea if that guy is full of it or not
Will post photo if appreciated. i probably will later

Advertisement

Last edited by rosco; 08-15-2010 at 04:42 AM.
rosco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2010, 05:06 AM   #2

I could only find polyurethane clear but not sure if i'll ever get the dry-time required. thompson's waterseal is good idea, but it will seal moisture in as does the polyurethane clear coat and won't make washing chicken poop and dirt an easy job.

Advertisement

Last edited by rosco; 08-15-2010 at 05:25 AM. Reason: learned to post pic's. there could be an image re-sizing tool added to upload page but it is good i had to learn this again.
Old 08-15-2010, 05:22 AM   #3

let's try this:
photos
Gaps: Name:  DSCF3357.JPG
Views: 263
Size:  25.8 KBName:  DSCF3359.JPG
Views: 261
Size:  32.2 KBName:  Top View Gap.jpg
Views: 293
Size:  25.2 KB

Two ages of cement. we'd like to stain them lightly to blend them to looking the same age: Name:  DSCF3361.JPG
Views: 254
Size:  17.8 KB

Holes: Name:  DSCF3362.JPG
Views: 260
Size:  23.0 KB

The stain that won't come out: Name:  DSCF3360.JPG
Views: 260
Size:  19.7 KB

My idea: use dremel stone bit to remove stain; polyurethane adhesive sealant (concrete& masonry) to fill in holes and gaps (darn, that will cost some bucks though); find a stain to blend the two ages of concrete; and then coat it with a clear polyurethane. is that a good approach yall'd use?
Old 08-15-2010, 01:25 PM   #4
Concrete & Masonry

Rewards Points: 2,142

Is this inside or out?

What's the intended use when you're completed, living space?
jomama45 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010, 09:27 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by jomama45 View Post
Is this inside or out?

What's the intended use when you're completed, living space?
Hello!

exterior back porch. the one you helped me with at the start of the summer. now it is ready to be sealed, stained and surfaces.

our chickens will inevitably get on it and their caecal poop sticks to any surface like superglue and eats things up. i'm not sure what is in it, but it will get into concrete and not come out. what is the word? i'd like the surface to be coated with something "cling/stick free" steel. but, we'd like the stain to be as natural as possible.

i've thought about polyurethane clear coat, but i think that would seal the water into the concrete. many other stains and seals lock-in moisture and i'm sure that is not good.

there will not be an extended "dry period" for a months, in which time, the caecal poop will be getting on there and eating up the concrete slabs.

what are your ideas? i'm thinking to seal concrete w/ something "deep penetrating", stain concrete, then coat with something. but that is too much chemical, layers and stuff.
Old 08-16-2010, 09:37 AM   #6

so you can visualize: Name:  DSCF3366.JPG
Views: 252
Size:  47.0 KB

ps. i got the gaps and holes filled in with what poured like water and dried like a rock-hard glue. can't remember the name, but i'm happy with it
Old 08-17-2010, 11:28 PM   #7
Concrete & Masonry

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosco View Post
Hello!

exterior back porch. the one you helped me with at the start of the summer. now it is ready to be sealed, stained and surfaces.

our chickens will inevitably get on it and their caecal poop sticks to any surface like superglue and eats things up. i'm not sure what is in it, but it will get into concrete and not come out. what is the word? i'd like the surface to be coated with something "cling/stick free" steel. but, we'd like the stain to be as natural as possible.

Looking at the pics, I'd sway towards an acid stain.

i've thought about polyurethane clear coat, but i think that would seal the water into the concrete. many other stains and seals lock-in moisture and i'm sure that is not good.

The good, deco-concrete poly sealers are all "breathable". so that wouldn't concern me. The concrete just needs to be fairly dry to apply it.

there will not be an extended "dry period" for a months, in which time, the caecal poop will be getting on there and eating up the concrete slabs.

what are your ideas? i'm thinking to seal concrete w/ something "deep penetrating", stain concrete, then coat with something. but that is too much chemical, layers and stuff.
For deep penetrating, you'll want something along the lines of a siloxane sealer. The poly sealer does well, but it is merely topical. If you decide to do some acid staining to hide the existing and future blemishies, I'd suggest a coat or 2 of siloxane, followed by the poly. Unfortunately, neither of these sealers are cheap, and you'll be required to attain them from a local supplier.

Good luck!
The Following User Says Thank You to jomama45 For This Useful Post:
rosco (08-18-2010)
Old 08-18-2010, 01:52 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by jomama45 View Post
Unfortunately, neither of these sealers are cheap, and you'll be required to attain them from a local supplier.

Good luck!
would you have an idea where i'd find the siloxane?

and just to run over this one more time: we've acid washed the concrete. the porch is visibly dry. i'll put a coat or two of siloxane down; then stain with a colored paint (concrete grey of some sort); then final coat of polyurethane to make it easy to wash?

my thinking is that there should be moisture down in the concrete. sealing that moisture in would cause it to crumble over a few years.
Old 08-18-2010, 03:16 PM   #9

Rewards Points: 2,458

google ' prosoco ' or ' sonneborn ' & follow yosur fingers - any pro const supply house, NOT an apron store

there is NO paint that will last when applied to concrete,,, jo, this is like talking to boxes of rocks at times, ain't it ? no one ever cks the archives
stadry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010, 11:28 PM   #10
Concrete & Masonry

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosco View Post
would you have an idea where i'd find the siloxane?

I know exactly where to get ot, out in my shop..............

Try a local masonry/concrete supply house.

and just to run over this one more time: we've acid washed the concrete. the porch is visibly dry. i'll put a coat or two of siloxane down; then stain with a colored paint (concrete grey of some sort); then final coat of polyurethane to make it easy to wash?

I was suggestign an acid stain FIRST over both slabs to help camoflauge the stains, and then the sealers. I wouldn't even think of using any kind of paint over the siloxane, as it's lifespan will be extremely short. If you want an opaque stain instead, check out LM Scofield, as I know they have some good tinted sealers.

my thinking is that there should be moisture down in the concrete. sealing that moisture in would cause it to crumble over a few years.
You simply need to apply the sealer to dry concrete and choose a breathable sealer.
The Following User Says Thank You to jomama45 For This Useful Post:
rosco (08-19-2010)
Old 08-19-2010, 06:53 AM   #11

jomomma: yeah, i've kinda gotten a little ways on this and will visit a local supply company.

i'm thinking of siloxane with some sort of light stains. i'll find out what works in a few hours when this supply house opens.

this will be the last step for that back porch that was such a headache.

itsreallyconc: thx

Advertisement

Tags
concrete rust stains seal