Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-27-2010, 07:29 PM   #1

Share |

concrete repair epoxy

looking for sugestions on filling cracks in concrete
spyder cracks nothing deep at this time should i use sealers from tube
or some type of epoxy when don i would like to coat floor with epoxy coating

Should I open gracks up to fill ?

Paulls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2010, 08:37 PM   #2

concrete repair epoxy

are you sure they're really CRACKS in the conc OR just some of the cement paste that's slightly ' crazed ' from the finishers using a bit too much water on a hot day,,, most times those little cracks aren't even measurable,,, IF they really are cracks & you're going to coat the floor, you may not need to do any repairs prior to the coating prep.

then again, are they random crks, shrinkage crks, or just from hot wind blowing across the fresh conc ?

stadry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2010, 05:41 AM   #3

concrete repair epoxy

sorry to say they are shrinkage cracks that go the length of pad an also go horizontal we did not cut lines so cracks have there own direction in With extreme warm weather this year it cracked trying to make a mistake better it is in a garage was hoping to
put some type of sealer or epoxy in cracks and coat over
Old 08-28-2010, 05:48 AM   #4

concrete repair epoxy

OUCH ! ! ! those control jnts're critical to slab performance, too,,, random cracking leads to random jointing meaning the slabs will expand/contract along those crks & grind against each other leading to spalling.

here's what we'd do - gravity fill the randoms w/high weight methyl-methacrylate then sawcut the slab full depth in 2 or 3 passes,,, while this isn't guaranteed to get the whole slab back on track, it is an accepted fed/dot/icri spec & much easier than replacing the slab,,, don't ***** about the hwmma cost - repairs are ALWAYS more expensive than doing it right the 1st time

i have the same in my garage but its 35yrs old,,, when i finally get around to applying whatever coating my bride decides, that's what i'll have to do, too
The Following User Says Thank You to stadry For This Useful Post:
Paulls (08-29-2010)
Old 08-29-2010, 02:14 AM   #5

concrete repair epoxy

Where can I buy methyl methacrylate will local concrete supply store have ?
how deep do you recomend new control cuts in floor is about 5 inches thick
Old 08-29-2010, 08:19 AM   #6

concrete repair epoxy

1st, snap lines & cut the slab into proper size,,, you'll need to sawcut full depth - 2 passes w/35hp saw,,, i'd recommend you hire this part of the work,,, conc supply house ? - no, a const supply house for hgwy & genl contractors,,, google up ' sika ' or methyl-methacrylate.

unfortunately my floor's 35yrs old so this method won't work for all of ours,,, yrs of expansion/contraction movement's caused 2nd & 3rd level crking so we'll have to replace 300sf too bad those ***holes didn't do it right the 1st time e
Old 08-29-2010, 10:56 AM   #7

concrete repair epoxy

Epoxy does not repair shrinkage cracks.

I tried this on a big job south of Nashville a few years ago to try and save 1/4 mile of concrete road that was improperly poured and riddled with shrinkage cracks. We even had the epoxy manufacturer's factory techinicians do all the drilling and epoxy injecting to eliminate any risk of further field labor screw-ups.

After curing we pulled a few randon cores of the repaired concrete and sent them to a lab for Petrographic Analysis (fancy word for lab testing of concrete using an electron microscope). The results were that the injected epoxy had not penetrated far enough into any of the cracks in the sampled cores to provide any structural strength. The repaired slabs were still considered failed and had to be removed and replaced.

Last edited by MI-Roger; 08-29-2010 at 10:59 AM.
MI-Roger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2010, 11:37 AM   #8

concrete repair epoxy

floor is 20 x 20 would epoxy in existing cracks and cut 1/2 inch cuts
in 10 ft sections would this correct some of the cracking