Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-28-2010, 03:16 PM   #1

Share |

Concrete problems

I just had a new concrete pad and front step poured and I have standing water (in a 2 foot by 2 foot area on the pad that is approximately 1/4 inch or so of water) naturally this is right where we and everyone else would walk to get in and out of the house. Short of telling the contractor to rip it out and do it correctly...what about drilling some holes for that water to drain out into the gravel sub-base? I've heard this may be an answer but my question is will this work? and what is the smallest size hole(s) I can drill that will still solve my problem? Or any other suggestions will help

Thank you in advance

dookers1

dookers1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 04:17 PM   #2
Civil Engineer

Concrete problems

Presumably you have standing water because the pad does not pitch correctly. You can put a concrete overlay on, perhaps 3 inches or so, and make it pitch correctly so it drains. You can drill holes in the concrete, but they will almost certainly fill with debris, sand, soil etc. pretty quickly, unless you make them large (say 1 inch or bigger), which would look pretty weird.

Daniel Holzman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 04:51 PM   #3
Mod

Concrete problems

You should at least call the contractor back and see what he has to say.

A puddle in a traffic area is unacceptable.

Post some pictures if you can.
Old 07-28-2010, 07:52 PM   #4

Concrete problems

If the problem is the pitch of the slab, you could look for somebody that does "slab jacking". They drill holes in the slab and pump a material to raise one or more sides of the slab. They fill the drilled holes, but they will be somewhat visible.
If you live in a climate that freezes in winter, thats going to be ice in the winter and definately unsafe.
I would call back the contractor, see what he can do.
SPS-1 is offline   Reply With Quote