DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

concrete porch slab questions

4K views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  Queso Bandit 
#1 ·
Hi-
I'm doing a new front porch entry and have some questions about the concrete slab. The top of the new slab will be higher than the stem footing of the house, at a height just below the door threshold (see pic).

1. Is it poor form to pour against the stucco siding (maybe with an expansion joint)? The wood framing would be covered with some sheathing/ waterproof membrane. Or do I need to cut out the stucco.

2. To the right of the door the slab will be 9-12" unless I order some gravel. Ar there any issues with an extra-thick slab? Seems to me it would be quicker and easier to just order an extra yard or 2 of mix vs dealing with gravel. Is steel reinforcement even helpful in such a thick slab without any big loads?

3. I was originally planning to pour the (2) 18"x18"x12" post footings separate (at the corner and middle), then have the patio poured against the cured footings. Any benefits of poring the big patio slab and footings as one?

I'm sure I'll have more questions later, but any advice is appreciated.
Thanks!

Attachments

See less See more
#3 ·
I thought it strange too. You can just make out the top of the foundation in the pic (about 6" below the door threshold). I removed the top step and am planning to put a new patio that extends to the right of the house and up to the door threshold.
It's either place the concrete against the stucco, or cut the stucco out and place it against some other backing attached to the framing.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.