Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-29-2010, 12:13 PM   #1

Share |

concrete porch settled from house, cracks

I have a concrete porch that I'd like to patch. I can't afford to demo it right now but I'm having some water issues in the basement when it pours.

Someone recommended backer rod to stuff the cracks and then use ardex.
I went to home depot and the guy there recommended a patch mix.

I was thinking about putting gravel into the cracks until about 1/2 inch from the surface and then using a patch concrete.

I'm more concerned about stopping the water from getting into the basement so I'd like to fix the top of the porch and the part that used to contact the house. This is a 70 year old home in Baltimore.

The crack in the middle of the porch used to have moss growing in it but I pulled it all out today. The concrete was very soft underneath.

I'm not sure if I should scrape as much of the old concrete off or if that will just make a bigger job.

Please take a look at the photos below.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. I'd like to get it patched before it rains again.

http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/sredi..._ED&feat=email

http://tinyurl.com/26tpl3m

Slash

slash5bmw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2010, 04:17 PM   #2

1st off, NEVER pay any attn to guys who wear aprons nor whoever recommended ardex fer-gawd's-sale

backer rod is used to provide shape factor to jnt/crk sealants,,, NEVER place incompressibles into crks OR jnts,,, repeat NEVER ! ! ! main reason most apron guys still give out free advice is because NO ONE EVER SUES 'EM ! ! !

btw, that crk's gotta be dry to seal it properly.

if you hear it from a guy in the apron store, be VERY suspicious the mtl/method will work,,, when it time to build something together, they won't answer phones NOR help
itsreallyconc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2010, 05:35 PM   #3
Civil Engineer

That porch is a mess, looks like it settled due to inadequate foundation preparation. That said, if you want to make it look more cosmetically appealing, you should jackhammer out the bad concrete, and patch with bag mixed concrete. Check out the Thoro Corporation, they have a variety of mixes for repair of damaged concrete.

Patching will not stop the concrete from continuing to settle and crack, but it will make the porch look better for a while. Ultimately this is a demo job, followed by preparation of a suitable base, which means removing all unsuitable soil and backfilling with structural fill (read crushed stone).
Daniel Holzman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2010, 09:04 PM   #4

Daniel and itsreallyconc,

Thanks for you replies. I know the porch is in bad shape. It's 70 years old. I'm not sure what the cost would be to demo and rebuild but it's probably more than I can spend right now.

Daniel, you mention to used bag mixed concrete. I think I can get this at home depot. Should I chip out all the old concrete that easily falls off?

Should I fill the deep cracks with gravel before I pour the bag mixed concrete into the deep cracks?

The porch is about 4 feet above the ground and I think the concrete will drop to the bottom and it will many bags before the crack is filled.

There was rebar broken and exposed when I was examining the crack.

Is this the Thoro corp you mentioned?
http://www.thorotechnology.com/

Thanks again.

Slash
Old 06-30-2010, 08:23 AM   #5

'85 k100rs euro spec - '74 r80/6 - 82 r100rs - no /5

for best results, diamond saw the patch & pick up some acrylic latex bonding milk,,, don't forget to restore the jnt, either,,, chip off ALL the damaged 'crete.

thoro or sonneborn - not avail at any apron sture !

if you hear it from a guy in the apron store, be VERY suspicious the mtl/method will work,,, when it time to build something together, they won't answer phones NOR help
itsreallyconc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2010, 10:06 AM   #6

itsreallyconc,

Do you recommend muriatic acid or tsp to clean the concrete crack before I pour in the cement?

Thx

Slash