Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-23-2011, 12:12 AM   #1

Share |

Concrete patio drainage problem

Hi all,

I own a ground floor unit in a multi-story condo building, built in the 60s. I am blessed with a concrete patio that slopes towards the house (by design!) and has a built-in gutter running along the side of the unit (I basically step over it when going in and out). I imagine at some point it must have been leveled so that the water could quickly run down the gutter towards the drain holes at both ends of it. That must have been decades ago. Now every time it rains the water accumulates in the low spots and somehow finds its way into the house and is slowly ruining my new hardwood floor. On the surface, it looks like the gutter is pretty well sealed, and I can't figure out where exactly the water is coming in. Any ideas on what I can do to a) find the leak and b) fix it without having to sell a kidney?

Thanks!

egoltsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 06:31 AM   #2

I am assuming the patio pad is not directly connected to the slab of the condo?? I also assume the patio pad has no foundation, which is the problem. It moves with frost or other natural forces. If it is actually attached at the condo slab, the outside end could raise, causing water to run into the condo. I don't quite understand this gutter system. My gues is the water is running under the door threshold. My first thought would be to make sure that is well caulked and sealed. Urethane caulk would be my choice, but everything must be dry and all old or loose caulking removed.

Just Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 07:16 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by egoltsman View Post
Hi all,

I own a ground floor unit in a multi-story condo building, built in the 60s. I am blessed with a concrete patio that slopes towards the house (by design!) and has a built-in gutter running along the side of the unit (I basically step over it when going in and out). I imagine at some point it must have been leveled so that the water could quickly run down the gutter towards the drain holes at both ends of it. That must have been decades ago. Now every time it rains the water accumulates in the low spots and somehow finds its way into the house and is slowly ruining my new hardwood floor. On the surface, it looks like the gutter is pretty well sealed, and I can't figure out where exactly the water is coming in. Any ideas on what I can do to a) find the leak and b) fix it without having to sell a kidney?

Thanks!
Post a picture.
Ron
Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
drainage patio gutter