DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

Concrete Patio with brick ribbons

9K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  jlhaslip 
#1 ·
Hello,
I am attempting to add on to a concrete patio. The patio is a rectangle consisting of four concrete squares with brick ribbons between the squares and along the outside edge. I need to add two more concrete squares and the brick ribbon onto one side.
My question, do I pour the concrete and then add the brick or lay the brick first and then pour the concrete?
Thanks in advance for any help.

#2 · (Edited)
You pour the concrete first. You have to form it to create the channels that the brick ribbons will sit into, and a recess along the edge for the perimeter band (think dropped brick ledge on a slab). Make them about 3/4 to 1 inch deeper than the thickness of the brick you will be useing to allow for the setting bed of mortar. Don't forget to be plenty generous with form release oil on the drop dowm forms, they will still be plenty agggravating to cut up and remove, especially from the channels.

#3 ·
Everything as stated above, PLUS:
- Don't be afraid to make the grade thicker under the ledges so the concrete isn't too thin, and it has the ability to flow well.
- You really need to tamp/puddle/vibrate the concrete under the ledges well, or you will be left with huge voids when you strip them out.
- Allow enough time to form this, this isn't concrete 101, but actually fairly complicated to form effectively. You've got to teeter between building form work that's strong enough to hold up through the pour w/o moving, as well as beign able to strip easily w/o damaging the concrete.

#5 ·
Drill holes or leave a space in the bottom of the brick ledger drop form and when you vibrate under it, the presence of concrete in the holes/space will confirm that you have vibrated well enough and there is sufficient concrete coverage under there.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.