DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

Concrete patch for lally column footing?

15K views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  crecore 
#1 ·
I am replacing my lally columns in my house. I have it jacked up, toke the old lally column out and the concrete directly beneath it was loose and just dug right out by hand. I dug it out until i got to good, solid concrete-but now I have to patch to get the footing level for the new column.

The hole is a 7 inch square and is 1/2 inch to 1 1/2 inches deep. What type of concrete should I use? I have structural grade grout but it is just the sand (i was not thinking this much of the footing would come out i figured i would just be leveling it a little smooth) and no gravel. What concrete is best for this situation? Should I stick some rebar in there while it is open as well?

Also, how long should i wait after putting this patch in to put the lally column back in? Thanks!

Nick

#2 ·
The more I see from you, the more I think this is quite a show. So I am guessing the lally collumns had settled to the floor? Sounds like you need to get an on site opinion from a qualified person.

I would do this from one of two ways...either cut out enough floor to pour a pier footing for it...16 inches across, or repair and use a steel plate 12 inches square for the collumn to rest on and spread the weight.

#3 ·
The more I see from you, the more I think this is quite a show.
Yes, because inventing questions relative to lally columns in the abyss that is the interent is especially satisfying and stimulating to my social well-being. :laughing:

I'm indesicive, what can i say? Originally I was going to shim the original posts on your recommendation, but once I priced out how much oak i would need to shim the posts, it was 5 dollars more to purchase a new permenant adjustable lally column. And now I am glad I did, because when I toke the pressure off the one column-it just about fell over and the floor directly underneath it was basically loose rocks and broken concrete pieces. Surprisingly the column did not really appear to be sinking into the floor.

Is the steel plate really necessary if I fill the hole with concrete- i mean the old footing is still all there and solid-it was just the first 1/2-1 1/2 inches that was loose and broken. Ooo and the original question still stands-what type of concrete do i use?

Should you wish to continue your cynicism I can always take pictures of the mess and write your name on the picture! :wink: Aside of the sarcasm-I do appreciate your help tho!

Nick

#4 ·
IF in fact the old footing is intact and as solid as you say.

I would mix up some non-shrinking grout, fill the voids and set the column. Wait a few days and crank the adjustment on the column so it is tight, fill around the post with bagged concrete.

Done.:)

PS. I re-read your post and the structural grout you have may be suitable.

#5 ·
I wasn't being cynical, but rather laughing as I typed it. Issue one is there is a lot of weight on the collumn...issue two remains you have damage to the floor under the collumn...and why is that? Number three is you don't want to have to do this again, so do it right. Since the floor failed under the collumn, I would (me personally) saw out the area and make a pier to distribute the weight. You can choose to grout it and it will probably work...or you can get a 12 X 12 inch steel plate to distribute the weight somewhat.......anyway you go will work.

#6 ·
Joasis is absolutely right. you are talking about the entire structural and engineering weight of your home. Those lally columns hold up your main carrying beam, and everything else above it. You need to really get this done right. It is not something that you just want to 'patch up'. Alot of home owners make the mistake of thinking that the lallys are simply sitting on the 3"-4" concrete flooring pad. You really need to make sure that the footing is 'there', that it is solid, and that the depth is where it should be according to your local code.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.