Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-03-2009, 12:04 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Concrete Pad Has Turned Black-Help

My basement and detached garage floor concrete pads have turned a shade of black.

The basement has pre-cast walls that came factory insulated and is all underground and does not currently leak and has no odor with a working sump pump.

Prior to the starting of construction on the house the basement was exposed to the elements for over a year without a functioning sump pump so it had standing water on a regular basis.

I want to finish the basement but do not know what has caused the concrete floor to loose its concrete color and if it is something that I need to take care before I put down flooring.

I did notice on a wood shelve that is sitting on a metal frame which sits on the concrete floor has what appears to be surface mold that wipes off.

Any information would be appreciated.

Thanks
Paul

ChaseGizmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2009, 06:12 AM   #2
Tool Geek

Rewards Points: 2,048

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChaseGizmo View Post
..... I did notice on a wood shelve that is sitting on a metal frame which sits on the concrete floor has what appears to be surface mold that wipes off. ....
Paul, Welcome to the Forum.
I think you just answered your own question.

I am hesitant about addressing mold but here is a DIY search on this Forum

Search>Advanced Search>Key Word(s) Mold > Search Titles Only > Search Now:
http://www.diychatroom.com/search.php?searchid=952003

PaliBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2009, 07:05 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 2,000

Mold is everywhere, nothing you can do about that. But when the conditions are right, it will multiply quickly. I never understood how mold grows on such an alkaline surface, but it does. Spray the floor with a 10:1-water:bleach mix and let it sit, even to the point of drying. That should make a big change.
Just Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2009, 07:36 AM   #4
Mold!! Let's kill it!

Rewards Points: 2,012

It doesn't take much organic dust on the surface of the concrete for mold to set up shop. Mold will only thrive when conditions are right. Moisture, food source and temperature all have to be in line for it to grow from spores to full fledged mold. Bill has the right idea, 10% bleach and water. Instead of letting it just dry, scrub it with a brush and wipe up the excess. The bleach will destroy the mold and will in fact break it down to it's base components. The base components and dead mold carcasses however, can become airborne and be an irritant to some people, so wipe them up and be rid of it. Get some ventilation or dehumidification going to eliminate the moisture that the mold needs to thrive.
Maintenance 6 is offline   Reply With Quote