Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-02-2008, 07:00 PM   #1
Don't know it all, yet!

Share |

Concrete overlay

I need to overlay a carport apron that has a few spots of spalling in addition to making a continous surface from there to and across a small (40"x14") patch adjacent to it.

The carport was closed in several years ago and the main area of concern is what now protrudes from the exterior wall. A couple of years ago I extended my front porch and had a small area between the porch and the already mentioned apron which I filled in with some Quickrete. I have procrastinated over the past several years but after the front porch job, I would like to add a skim coat, or overlay, to make the surface continuous from the porch all the way across the small patch plus the original carport apron. Hope this clearly describes what I need without getting confusing.

What I would have done several years ago is take some portland cement, paint a thin paste for bonding and go on top of that with a 1/1 or 1/2 cement and fine sand and float it smooth.

Just wondered if there are any newer better "mousetraps" available or would this still be a good way to go? I'm thinking about 1/4 inch or so thickness. No traffic or load on this area now, other than a couple of flower pots.

I figure there is way too much experience here to ignore before starting this.

Thanks in advance to all,
Richard

Old 11-03-2008, 06:00 AM   #2

Concrete overlay

there're GREAT products avail now 'cept at the apron stores but they do have their place,,, rather i'd recommend a polymer-modified mtl specifically made for o'lays,,, as in anything else w/conc, prep's the #1 concern.

i'm in marietta so don't be bashful if you need some help,,, we typically avg a thickness of 3/32"-1/8" & have permanent results IN COLOR, too ! ! !

you can see some inexpensive work at elitecrete.com or concretenetwork,,, don't be scared - its not all $12 sf

yesitsconcrete is offline   Reply With Quote