Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-11-2010, 05:46 AM   #1

Share |

Concrete over foam board

Im talking with different concrete contractors. None of which are real familiar with pouring over foam board. They want to make ramps and wheel barrel it in. Wouldnt it be much easier to have it pumped in ? Wouldnt there be much less chance of damaging the foam board ?
I understand that the pump will cost from 800 to 1000 more but wouldnt it be worth it ?
Mudball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 07:13 AM   #2
Remodeling Contractor

Concrete over foam board

not needed. The foam board (2") will support the weight of the concrete + worker + wheelbarrow. We do this all the time since radiant heat is normally added to high end houses. We do make plywood ramps (cost of about $150) but more to not move the wire mesh.
Bob Mariani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 07:20 AM   #3
Concrete & Masonry

Concrete over foam board

Same here, if 25 psi foam is used, it will support the wheelbarrows without a problem. We do lay strips of plywood down for light foam & radiant tubing though. If your pouring over radiant, you need to take care in dumping the wheelbarrow: the front bar (in front of the tire) shouldn't contact the tubing when dumping.
jomama45 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 07:27 AM   #4

Concrete over foam board

We put some scaffold boards down over the insulation. The heating pipes are laid on top of the concrete later and then screeded over with 3 inch sand/cement. Have you been snowed off as well Jomama?
stuart45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 07:34 AM   #5
Concrete & Masonry

Concrete over foam board

Quote:
Originally Posted by stuart45 View Post
We put some scaffold boards down over the insulation. The heating pipes are laid on top of the concrete later and then screeded over with 3 inch sand/cement. Have you been snowed off as well Jomama?

Not exactly Stu. I still have the employees working on an inside job for a few weeks yet. I actually like some downtime in the winter. I think I might even go on a nice cruise on the snowmobile today!

We've had about 30" of snow (with one big melt) this winter already, so conditions are great IF you like snow.

How about your part of England?
Old 01-11-2010, 07:43 AM   #6

Concrete over foam board

My daughter has just taken this photo of our cottage. Not quite Wisconsin.
Concrete over foam board-sn.jpg
stuart45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 06:42 PM   #7

Concrete over foam board

yo, head'd to the world of conc end of the month,,, c'mon out & i'll buy you a beer or 7
itsreallyconc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 06:56 PM   #8
Concrete & Masonry

Concrete over foam board

Quote:
Originally Posted by itsreallyconc View Post
yo, head'd to the world of conc end of the month,,, c'mon out & i'll buy you a beer or 7

AHHHHHHH, I really contemplated going this year, but I decided against it. I wish I was going now though, I'd gladly drink your beer!

I've been there 3 or 4 times in the last decade, but not since '06. That was the year one of my guy's enetered the "Bricklayer 500" I got got roped into laboring in the competition. That was the point where I relized I was officially "old." I think that's left a bad taste in my mouth, haven't been back to LV since. I'm sure those beer could have probably helped correct that bad taste though!!!!!!
Old 01-11-2010, 07:22 PM   #9

Concrete over foam board

Thanks for all the help. Its good to know that this can be done by laying down running boards also. We are not going as far as radiant floor heat but I certainly hope we done regret investing in the 2" foam board. We are going to have pea gravel for a base then 15 mil plastic and then the foam board so would there be any problems with using the regular blue or pink foam board from the big chain stores for under slab ?
Old 01-11-2010, 07:29 PM   #10
Master General ReEngineer

Concrete over foam board

Ayuh,... That foam will work just Fine,...
The stuff has amazing compressive strength when properly lain on flat grades...

Your regret later will probably be Not putting in the pex....

Good Luck...
Bondo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 07:43 PM   #11
Remodeling Contractor

Concrete over foam board

Agreed. At least loop the PEX.. it's cheap to do it now. The controls and heat source can be added latter when you realize it would be so nice to be comfortable down there.
Bob Mariani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 08:20 PM   #12

Concrete over foam board

Thanks again for all the help and suggestions. Originaly we decided to not use any slab insulation at all but wanted to break some of the cool feeling for the love of comfort and heat bills and hope to get some of our money back. We really dont believe we want to take it to that level of living in this zone. http://www.climate-zone.com/climate/...see/nashville/
Old 01-11-2010, 09:00 PM   #13

Concrete over foam board

In your city you have 3729 heating days, compared to this chart, you need 24" perimeter slab insulation: http://www.energycodes.gov/support/slab_faq.stm Don't forget the termite shield, if required.

Both foams have the same comp. strength, but the Pink-O.C. is 33% stronger in flexing.
Be safe, Gary
Clean the ducting in the last six months? 17,000 dryer fires annually!
Gary in WA is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 09:20 PM   #14
Concrete & Masonry

Concrete over foam board

Quote:
Originally Posted by GBR in WA View Post
In your city you have 3729 heating days, compared to this chart, you need 24" perimeter slab insulation: http://www.energycodes.gov/support/slab_faq.stm Don't forget the termite shield, if required.

Both foams have the same comp. strength, but the Pink-O.C. is 33% stronger in flexing.
Be safe, Gary

Gary, with all due respect, one is rated at 15 psi and the superior is rated at 25psi. To me that's alot of compressive strength variation, especially for 5-10% more cost. There also (may still be) used to be a foam made by Dow named "Freezer Mate" that was rated at 30 psi.
Old 01-11-2010, 09:32 PM   #15

Concrete over foam board

I read 25 for both on compressive-------- Dow=50 on flex strength, pink= 75, not the freezer but 250. I was comparing these:

http://insulation.owenscorning.com/W...=id&ItemID=788

http://www.dow.com/PublishedLiteratu...romPage=GetDoc

Be safe, Gary
Clean the ducting in the last six months? 17,000 dryer fires annually!
Gary in WA is online now   Reply With Quote