Concrete Over Concrete? - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-15-2011, 07:47 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

concrete over concrete?

Hi all,

I've been reading the forum and there is some great stuff on here. I am finally buying my first house and I am sure to be on here with lots of questions.

My first question is about a garage floor. The garage floor has a couple cracks in it and has settled down so half of it slopes down an inch or 2. So it seems more level in the middle of the garage but then the right half of the floor slopes until it reaches the garage door where when the garage door is closed there is a 1.5 - 2 inch gap under the door. Whats the best way to take care of this? Is there a way to bring the floor back up to level or can I concrete over the existing floor, bring it up an inch and level it that way?

Thanks!

Advertisement

thatnewguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 08:17 PM   #2

concrete over concrete?

It's doable, and cheaper than having mud pumped under the slab. Make sure to use a bonder, and roughen the existing floor(rent a floor sander, and use coarse grit) Bonder is basically white glue that you put on the existing concrete, let it dry, and the wet cement moistens it enough to stick. You'll probably have to sift out the aggregate for the edge taper. Also, be generous with the bonder in the thinner areas. Don't forget to let it cure for a full week before parking on it.

Advertisement

joebanana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 08:23 PM   #3

Location: Minneapolis/St. Paul, Minnesota - Latitude 45.057 Longitude -93.074
Rewards Points: 2,136

concrete over concrete?

Any existing cracks are guaranteed to telegraph through the thin topping.

Dick
concretemasonry is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 08:50 PM   #4

concrete over concrete?

What would be the right way to do it?
thatnewguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 05:08 AM   #5

concrete over concrete?

Quote:
Originally Posted by thatnewguy View Post
What would be the right way to do it?
90 lb. jack hammer, dump truck, compactor, fill, building mesh, how ever many yards of ready-mix, screed, float, trowel, sweat, beer, vacation. (day laborer optional, but recommended)
joebanana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 11:35 AM   #6
Concrete & Masonry

Rewards Points: 2,144

concrete over concrete?

Quote:
Originally Posted by joebanana View Post
90 lb. jack hammer, dump truck, compactor, fill, building mesh, how ever many yards of ready-mix, screed, float, trowel, sweat, beer, vacation. (day laborer optional, but recommended)
I agree that this is the best long term solution. I'd bet you'd be surprised how much of a void is under the slab currently and pouring an additional layer certainly won't be a long term solution.

I would also at least explore the option of mud jacking to get a pro's perspective on it. The estimate(s) should be free and only cost you a little of your own time.
jomama45 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 12:06 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 500

concrete over concrete?

Speaking of voids, the guy doing the water proofing on my basement uncovered a big void under the carport slab. Fortunately it had not settled.

They cut 4" holes and pumped concrete. It was fun to watch.

Regarding the original poster's question, my wife and I were looking at a house that had a carport converted to a garage. The slab had a fair amount of slope on it. It appeared to have been poured that way. Anyway, the garage doors were cut to fit the slope. It worked.
pyper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 08:20 PM   #8

concrete over concrete?

Yeah, with that much settling I would want to make sure there isn't a void under it. I know a guy that jacked up a car and had the jack break through the cement because there was a void under it. Not something you want to happen when you are under the car.
elarreau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 09:37 PM   #9

Rewards Points: 2,464

concrete over concrete?

'sound' out your floor using a 16oz framing hammer,,, hollow means void - dead thump means solid base,,, then coredrill a hold & look !

so far, all the previous posts have been correct - you just need to determine which 1 is right for your floor,,, off cruising for a wk, guys enjoy !
stadry is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 10:34 PM   #10
Concrete & Masonry

Rewards Points: 2,144

concrete over concrete?

Quote:
Originally Posted by itsreallyconc View Post
'sound' out your floor using a 16oz framing hammer,,, hollow means void - dead thump means solid base,,, then coredrill a hold & look !

so far, all the previous posts have been correct - you just need to determine which 1 is right for your floor,,, off cruising for a wk, guys enjoy !
Aren't you too old for a Disney cruise????????????
jomama45 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 03:13 AM   #11

concrete over concrete?

Hello,
I have an old nasty looking concrete patio. I want to refinish it. The plan is I was going to put some 2x4's around it, pour 2 inches of concrete on top, than I have a stamping tool to give it a rock look and I was going to press that in around the patio than let it dry.

Will this work? Other than cleaning the old concrete what prep should I do?

Does it need to be reenforced? I dont see how I would with the stamping tool.

Thanks

Advertisement

Marianne55 is offline   Reply With Quote