Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-15-2008, 10:13 PM   #1

Share |

concrete issues

i have a steel building and have started a modification to it and i have run across a problem. around the edges on the inside the concrete slab that it is bolted to has cracking around almost the entire area and small chunks of concrete have come off leaving voids.
can i just repairs this or do i have to 1) rip out and replace the old concrete or 2) can i just put in forms and add concrete on top?

i appreciate any help you all can give

kindrngentlr13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2008, 11:00 PM   #2

concrete issues

Not enough information. Can you post some pictures of what you're dealing with?

Termite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2008, 06:10 PM   #3

concrete issues

here are some pics of what i have wrong. i put a level on the main portion of the concrete and it still shows to be level. maybe they didnt let the concrete dry properly before placing the bin and redheads on it?
i placed the pics in my folder on this site.
Old 06-16-2008, 09:20 PM   #4

concrete issues

here is one of the worst ones.
Attached Thumbnails
concrete issues-p6150370.jpg  
Old 06-17-2008, 04:54 AM   #5

concrete issues

not certain what your ' modification ' is but it'd appear the foundation's unipour ( monopour ) in which the footer's placed simultaneously w/floor,,, suggest flexible epoxy for repair,,, looks like some movement's led to spalling indicating the crk's acting as a jnt.

placing conc on top of the existing'll only cause the underlying problem to reflect thru the new,,, best i can tell from pics.
yesitsconcrete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2008, 09:54 AM   #6

concrete issues

well i started with the demo of the raised floor, now im working on the repair of the floor. next will be to frame in the walls and insulate. the list is long, the work is hard, but in the end we will have a livable space.
at this time we are looking at a 2 1/2 story house.
this would be my modification that i was talking about.
interstate products has an epoxy concrete sealer that sounds pretty good, any suggestions on any other proven brand?
Old 06-17-2008, 12:14 PM   #7

concrete issues

Is that an old grain bin? Do you have exterior picts?
Old 06-17-2008, 09:42 PM   #8

concrete issues

yes, it is a grain bin. here are a couple of exterior pics.
Attached Thumbnails
concrete issues-p6070299.jpg   concrete issues-p6150357.jpg  
Old 06-18-2008, 12:42 AM   #9

concrete issues

How's the House - is it finished yet? I photographed a grain bin a few years back from the
inside and found it strangely incredible..

regards from upstate NY
polarhalf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2008, 07:53 AM   #10

concrete issues

I've never seen a grain bin modified into living space, i have seen a pair of silos converted.

So back to your question...are you planning on the exterior supporting the interior wall(s)? If not, while the concrete looks bad, I doubt it will get much worse. Those look to be about 8500 bushel bins, full of corn each would weigh in at 476,000 pounds and 510,000 with beans. I really doubt your house structure will run that much unless you're going to skin the exterior with brick....then I'd be concerned.

Please tell us your not using the drying fans for air circulation !
Old 06-18-2008, 10:24 AM   #11

concrete issues

Well, so maybe it was a silo I photographed, tipped over from high winds. I've just put it on my desktop.. Your concrete cracks seem strongly from the anchoring system channeling the weight on the sides - or the sheer weight of the former contents. But it could also have been triggered by the bolts in the concrete like a hammer on a sheet of glass. If you have winter, they might be exacerbated from ground settling.

I think you're smart to consider what this might mean, I can't imagine crumbling concrete, no matter how decisive looking, could be completely stable for the next fifty years. You've got a floating slab - almost. But who knows how thick and what kind of footer is under the walls, which lend the overall structure it's integrity - not it's base. I would not rely on the fact that the grain sitting on top uniformly would sustain point stress in the middle without knowing how thick these pads are and what's underneath the slabs.

These two look more balanced in width than the one I remember, and about four times bigger. Questions - would it have been possible for the metal sides to have created a temperature difference near the circumference dramatic enough that it also stressed the concrete? What time of the year were they poured? For that matter, you could be thinking of creating a tough environment to heat or cool, and one that definitely does not breath on the sides, but imports ground moisture from beneath through the concrete. Can we be certain they put a moisture barrier down before pouring that is not compromised? Moisture on the inside, although not looking like it's a problem for the metal right now, is still not going to go far without serious ventilation, so that the items and beings inside don't suffer from mold and mildew issues. Conducted heat or cold on the sides could also bring condensation with elevated levels of relative humidity inside. Although we like to think of impervious material as weather tight, because of the conductivity of the sides, for such a large structure, you're going to be working with your own weather system inside. Not to throw more water on the party, but in warm and humid climates, insurance companies have been backing away from certain construction methods that seal up houses and commercial buildings so well that humidity inside molds up. Money aside, I hate mold when it's inside and growing. I might think about using the exterior as a structural aid, test it's point strength and maybe take a shot gun to it with a few thousand rounds of buck shot before I moved in. Looking at both, together you've got quite an opportunity to use them as a modern building frame! Foam spray insulation, the kind applied with a hose, might slow the conductivity and condensation on the material itself. But then that's a lot of foam too..
polarhalf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2008, 09:13 PM   #12

concrete issues

it would be nice to find someone who'd buy those blowers and augers though. hate to just scrap them for a few dollars.
Old 06-19-2008, 11:39 PM   #13

concrete issues

Wow...The only thing I can add is Butler is a good name product in our area...It looks like the weight on the edges of the steel walls have settled down at some point...Likely from a to light a footer under that area...

Personally I would not build a home in there..but that's just me...Course in a bad storm like we all see on the news lately it looks like a very safe place to be in...Fix the floor, get a good ventalion system HRV in there and pick a good outside colour as that gray is not so good looking...Wonder how the tax man will assess it for taxes later ??

You have guts , willing to work hard for your home and I wish you good luck there
Lansing
Lansing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2008, 07:08 AM   #14

concrete issues

Quote:
Originally Posted by kindrngentlr13 View Post
it would be nice to find someone who'd buy those blowers and augers though. hate to just scrap them for a few dollars.
Obviously you're in an agricultural area, snag all the specs from the name plates, post an add in the local farm papers and I'll bet you can get rid of them.

Keep us posted on your progress...we like unique things...and this will be.
Old 06-20-2008, 09:38 PM   #15

concrete issues

i will fill you all in as i progress, but we all know how slow things are especially since i work long hours, live 30 miles from my farm, work on my house and the farm. it will be and has been hard work but ive never been afraid of that part.
thanks for the words of encouragement and the verbal assistance i have requested and will be requesting more of as i continue this project.