Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-31-2011, 03:59 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Concrete Footing for Charcoal Grill Post

I just bought a park style charcoal grill and to install it I need to mount the pole in concrete. I know very little about pouring concrete but I hope I can do an adequate job to hold the pole up. The instructions that come with the grill state to dig a 12" diameter hole 3' deep and to mount the pole 14" in the concrete.

I do not have a post hole digger but I think I can dig a 3' hole with the misc shovels I have. My first question is how do I sink a pole only 14" in 3' of wet cement? I am hoping to fill the bottom of the hole with large rocks to hold up the pole and then fill with conrete. Will that work? Another option would be to pour concrete twice to form a hard surface 14" below the surface. But how well will the 2 concrete pours bond without rebar or some other structure?

I don't know what cement to buy but this does not have to be pretty. It will be underground so it just need to structural. I don't really want to do a lot of mixing. Is there a product I can put in the hole dry and then wet later. Not all at once but maybe in layers? I figured at least I would have to partially mix the cement before putting in the hole.

My final problem is leveling the post while the cement dries. I think I can stake it with 3-4 stakes and rope.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I don't want to dump a lot of money into this project but I want it to function. A post hole digger, form, rebar, concrete mix, concrete mixing pan, some kind of stirring device, rope, stakes can add up real quick.

rexpfur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 04:20 PM   #2
Tileguy

Rewards Points: 2,438

Wow! You really know how to work your butt off for no good reason.

Go borrow or rent a post hole digger. A bigger hole would only be a mistake and a lot more costly and make it harder to stabilize the grill in the future. Don't disturb any more soil than is absolutely necessary.

Dig your hole. Install the post. Pour one eighty-pound-bag of concrete mix into the hole "dry". Level your post as you tamp the cement down with a shovel handle. Leave the top of the cement mix down about three inches. The cement mix will firm up and become solid and hold your post straight and firm. Then just add water to the hole. When the water disappears, add more water. Forget about it. Tomorrow you will be able to mount your grille.

A single 80# bag of concrete mix will probably be too much so go easy pouring it in the hole.

Old 07-31-2011, 04:36 PM   #3
DIY Hack

Rewards Points: 500

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bud Cline View Post
Wow! You really know how to work your butt off for no good reason..... A single 80# bag of concrete mix will probably be too much so go easy pouring it in the hole.
Some of these park style grills weigh SEVERAL HUNDRED POUNDS and are very top heavy. If the directions say you need a footer, I'd assume they know what they are talking about and wouldn't skimp on a couple $4 bags of sakrete

You can stabalize it with a couple 2x4's clamped onto the post perpendicular at 14" from the bottom , and long enough to span the hole. You could also drive a couple long stakes on the outside of the hole, and use a rope to help support the top of the post. It's not hard and will make more sense once you start. just take your time and make sure it's plumb
Old 07-31-2011, 04:53 PM   #4
Tileguy

The post isn't separate from the grille top???

I have installed hundreds of those park grilles for the Army Corps of Engineers, literally hundreds, and they always came with the post separate from the grille. Sizes can vary, there are many, but typically the single units weigh about sixty pounds and the group units weigh in at around one hundred thirty-five pounds.

If the post isn't detachable then that's a different story.

Last edited by Bud Cline; 07-31-2011 at 06:21 PM.
Bud Cline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 06:15 PM   #5
DIY Hack

Rewards Points: 500

Post is probably detachable, but they do make big units that weigh 200+

with only 14" of the post in the ground, if it's a heavy one you really want a deep footer that becomes an extension of the post.

http://www.parkgrills.com/Customkiti...kc=G398%2D1027
Old 07-31-2011, 06:22 PM   #6
Tileguy

I don't understand the 14" thing. That isn't enough post in the ground even with extending the concrete I don't think.
Old 07-31-2011, 08:03 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 10

Bud,

Thanks for your initial reply I think I will just fork over the money for a post hole digger and do as you mentioned pouring dry concrete into the hole. I think I can manage putting the pole 14" in the concrete with dry concrete. I never worked with concrete and didn't know you could work with the dry stuff then add water.

To clear up some other questions:
1) The pole is seperated from the grill at the moment. Once the pole is installed the grill snaps on and locks with some type of pin.
2) This is not an excessivly large or heavy grill so that is why they only require 14" of pole in the ground. The grill weight is about 65lbs and the pole is only 36" to begin with.

This is the grill I bought. http://www.northerntool.com/shop/too...ct_22260_22260
rexpfur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 10:00 PM   #8
Tileguy

Those are great little grills and last a long time. You'll enjoy that one.