Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-05-2008, 02:40 PM   #1

Share |

Concrete Flooring in Safe Room

I am working on an addition that includes a safe room (concrete filled block walls with concrete top and floor). I have the footing and foundation done and am ready to pour the concrete floor. I have filled in the area below where the floor will be but still have enough room for 6+ inches of concrete.

Question:

How thick of a concrete floor do I need?

GorillaBoze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2008, 02:44 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by GorillaBoze View Post
I am working on an addition that includes a safe room (concrete filled block walls with concrete top and floor). I have the footing and foundation done and am ready to pour the concrete floor. I have filled in the area below where the floor will be but still have enough room for 6+ inches of concrete.

Question:

How thick of a concrete floor do I need?
What are you trying to protect yourself against? Storms, fire, bombs, home invasion?

jerryh3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2008, 02:51 PM   #3

We live in tornado alley here in southeast Kansas. We are to close to the water table to have basements in our area (it is nice free water to irrigate our lawns though!).
GorillaBoze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2008, 03:01 PM   #4

Location: Minneapolis/St. Paul, Minnesota - Latitude 45.057 Longitude -93.074

Gorilla -

Are you building it above grade, in a basement or buried by itself? If it is above grade and surrounded by a house (like a bath or closet), you should still consider it exposed since a wood frame home provides no protection in the case of a hit.

Take a look at the FEMA site and look for "safe cell". They have great plans, details and hardware (locks, hinges, vents, etc.) that are all based on testing actual structures and components. - Ideas on ventilation and door swings and connecting the foundation, walls and roof together are also good. These plans were developed about 5 10 years ago and can worl for hurricanes also, but the winds are lower and the occupation duration is longer.

Above grade you have to be concerned with having enough weight and preventing tipping if the home goes, as they usually do in a hit. - Small, 8' high cells can tip since they also pick up the wind from the extra debris around them. With block you can fill the cells without reinforcement with dry sand to save money and increase the stability.

Dick

Last edited by concretemasonry; 03-05-2008 at 03:05 PM.
concretemasonry is online now   Reply With Quote