Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-18-2010, 07:05 PM   #1

Share |

concrete driveway resurface

I'd like to resurface my driveway (the concrete is sound but it looks BAD!)
"quikrete" makes a pretty good resurface product but it costs quite a bit. ($21.50 for a 40# bag at HD) wonder why it's so expensive? should be only portland cement and some other stuff. maybe it's that other "stuff" that makes the cost high? it dries awfully fast!
anyway, is their any wisdom to making your own? I've read where you can combine portland cement and sand to make a topping that goes on rather thin (1/16 inch) and doesn't need to be worked quickly like the "quikrete" product. for that matter,what about using "quikrete sand mix"?

tnx,

analogmusicman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010, 08:39 PM   #2

With a limited depth application (1/16"), you are going to have a hard time getting anything to hold up long term - especially in a freeze/thaw climate. You could overlay the existing concrete with asphalt or replace the concrete with new concrete- anything else will just be a bandaid.

jomama45 (08-18-2010)
Old 08-20-2010, 04:10 AM   #3

disagree w/poster # 2,,, didn't you do your porch last yr or more recently ?

we resurface regularly but use nothing from any apron store,,, freeze/thaw isn't an issue, either, & our thickness is .125",, we pay about $40 for 60# bag which will resurface 175-200sf depending on existing surface,,, you can ' roll your own ' mix however you'll need the correct polymers to do it right & they're not avail from any apron store.

if you think the price's expensive now, wait til you have to do it over again - soon,,, as before, prep is the key to success.

if you hear it from a guy in the apron store, be VERY suspicious the mtl/method will work,,, when it time to build something together, they won't answer phones NOR help
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by itsreallyconc; 08-20-2010 at 04:13 AM.
itsreallyconc is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to itsreallyconc For This Useful Post:
Scuba_Dave (08-20-2010)
Old 08-20-2010, 10:08 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by itsreallyconc View Post
disagree w/poster # 2,,, didn't you do your porch last yr or more recently ?

we resurface regularly but use nothing from any apron store,,, freeze/thaw isn't an issue, either, & our thickness is .125",, we pay about $40 for 60# bag which will resurface 175-200sf depending on existing surface,,, you can ' roll your own ' mix however you'll need the correct polymers to do it right & they're not avail from any apron store.

if you think the price's expensive now, wait til you have to do it over again - soon,,, as before, prep is the key to success.
what's that stuff called? is it only available to pro's? (which I'm NOT obviously,but I have a friend who is )

tnx,
Old 08-20-2010, 12:28 PM   #5

generically, its a polymer-modified cementitious overlay mtl - we use elitecrete but you need to be licensed to buy it,,, concretenetwork.com will have plenty of sources,,, be careful you don't wind up w/acrylic-only based mtls as they do have a short life

if you hear it from a guy in the apron store, be VERY suspicious the mtl/method will work,,, when it time to build something together, they won't answer phones NOR help
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 08-26-2010, 11:31 AM   #6

was at a local store and happened to notice the concrete sidewalks around the front. looks like somebody did a "resurface" job on the concrete and it DOES NOT look good. the "topping" (about 1/8) was coming up at the edges. maybe whoever did it just didn't prep the surface well? or might this be what happens when you've got a climate like here in colo. springs? (plenty of freeze/thaw cycles)

tnx,
Old 08-26-2010, 12:30 PM   #7

no idea but guess poor prep &/or poorly applied mtls,,, i'll bet it wasn't an eliteCrete installer, tho,,, take a look on concretelocator.com,,, you should see the front of our local sher-wms store,,, their mtls + their labor = looks like ***t

Old 09-02-2010, 07:01 AM   #8

i don't mind being quoted in other forums however i do ask you be accurate,,, probably help if you would've also been judicious in your choice of words

Old 09-02-2010, 07:03 AM   #9

still curious why jo thanks an inaccurate post ? ? ? did someone **** in his wheaties again ?

Old 09-02-2010, 12:00 PM   #10

what in h**l got your jockey shorts tied up in a knot,conc?
here's the "offending" post,anyone want to comment?

going to resurface my driveway.
I understand "elitecrete" makes a resurface product.easy to use? how much generally per bag? coverage at 1/8"? somebody in another forum who's a pro, says I can't buy it, have to get somebody licensed to buy it for me. ^
(maybe you wanted "I'll")

tnx,
Old 09-02-2010, 12:19 PM   #11

I trird some of the quickcrete stuff on a sidewalk that was sound, just pitted and sunk down. it didn't last a year.
forresth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 12:54 PM   #12

here's the link so everyone can read it - http://concretelocator.yuku.com/topi...resurface.html -,,, we, as licensees, do NOT buy our products for resale & use by the uninitiated but ONLY as necessary for inclusion on our work.

in this diy chatroom thread, i mention'd its, generically, a polymer-modified cementitious overlay product,,, there are others on the mkt - just not as acceptable im-n-s-h-fo,,, capish ??????????????

Old 09-03-2010, 09:48 PM   #13
Concrete & Masonry

Quote:
Originally Posted by itsreallyconc View Post
still curious why jo thanks an inaccurate post ? ? ? did someone **** in his wheaties again ?

Nope, no Wheaties involved. Just don't believe a "homade" micro-topping is feasible, much less any resurfacing work done as DIY. I've seen more fail here done by "pro's: than I've seen suceed, and for a cost that isn't much more than total replacement. Sorry to say IRC, but our climate isn't condusive to "layered" concrete.
jomama45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2010, 12:15 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by jomama45 View Post
Nope, no Wheaties involved. Just don't believe a "homade" micro-topping is feasible, much less any resurfacing work done as DIY. I've seen more fail here done by "pro's: than I've seen suceed, and for a cost that isn't much more than total replacement. Sorry to say IRC, but our climate isn't condusive to "layered" concrete.
hmm...the climate in Georgia IS a heck of a lot milder than either CS or Wisconsin. just might be that the resurfacing done at that local store I mentioned, was done by a pro and simply FAILED! I'm going to look into getting the whole driveway replaced.

tnx,
Old 09-04-2010, 01:37 PM   #15

just wondering: if I decide to get the whole driveway replaced, somebody'll have to breakup and dispose of the old one. my friend says he breaks up old driveways by slipping the forks of a "fork-lift" under the concrete and raising the forks. is this feasible when there's reinforcing in the 'crete? is this something better left to somebody else?

tnx,