DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

Concrete Driveway - Asphalt Over Top?

4K views 1 reply 1 participant last post by  mark2741 
#1 ·
I bought a house last year that has a concrete driveway. The house was built in 1959 and I have a pic of the house from the early 90's where it shows this same driveway so I am guessing it is original. It has lots of cracks (I plan on snapping some pics once this weather lets up).

Some of my neighbors have a 'blacktopped' driveway - my immediate neighbor's driveway has what appears to my eye to be a thick asphalt coating - approximately 2 or 3 inches high, as it slopes down on the sides/edges. It looks good - much better than my cracked concrete driveway.

Last year after we moved in I called a couple of 'seal coat' contractors and they told me they don't work on concrete driveways. As I have plenty of other projects/concerns going on I haven't thought about it until now.

I don't have the money to replace the concrete. Though it has cracks here and there, it's structurally sound - it's just ugly. I'd much prefer a black driveway, similar to a 'sealcoat' look.

A friend told me that I should be able to just fill in the cracks to level the concrete and then buy the sealcoat stuff at HD and put it on myself, but he's even less knowledgeable about this stuff than I : )

What are my options? I'd like to do the work myself if an eager but not so mechanically inclined DIYer can reasonably do a good job. If it's not more than a couple grand then I could afford to pay a contractor to do it. I just know I can't afford to replace the concrete completely and want the driveway to look as good as it can.

I'll snap pics and post when I get home later.

See less See more
#2 ·
Here is a pic of my driveway. I forgot to snap a close pic of my neighbor's driveway where he has some type of thick blacktop (asphalt?) on his, and it slopes down to meet where my driveway meets his.

What are my options for 'blacktopping' this driveway?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.