Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-19-2008, 07:44 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 250

Concrete curing in post holes

I've read the post this week about a slab curing in MN, and I'm in MI where its really no different temp wise (high of 35 all week).

I dug 9 post holes 48" deep 2 weeks ago when it was 70 degrees and now need to get the posts set. Is it advisable to attempt to set them now that the weather is so cold? I'm really hoping this doesn't have to get put off until spring!

moneymgmt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2008, 07:52 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,498

If the holes are not frozen then I don't see any problem. The ground should keep the concrete from freezing.

joed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2008, 07:52 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 500

It's not too late for the cure...especially if you were to cover the top with straw, tarp, plastic etc, it will help to keep the heat in and lessen the impact of temperature changes from the surface.

Are the post wooden? If so there's quite a bit of support to not set them in concrete rather use crushed stone as it will allow moisture to move away from the post.
Old 11-19-2008, 07:55 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 2,000

Post holes won't be much of a problem, as long as the inside face of them isn't frozen solid, from being exposed for a while. Even if the soil is frozen for an inch or so, the heat of the concrete will thaw that very quickly. Placing concrete doesn't concern me at all because the heat of the earth will keep things reasonably warm. Just cover the tops with straw or blankets.
Termite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2008, 07:55 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 250

all of the posts are hollow vinyl 4x4 but two of them will have a treated 4x4 down the middle for support as gate posts. The inside of the holes shouldn't be frozen, I've kept "lids" on them so nobody should accidentally fall in!

Thanks for your help!! Guess this means I'll be mixing and pouring concrete instead of hunting after work

Last edited by moneymgmt; 11-19-2008 at 09:31 AM.
moneymgmt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2008, 10:01 AM   #6

Rewards Points: 500

Keep in mind that earth is a good insulator. Concrete gives of heat when it is setting. The heat from the curing is trapped but the earth around it. Just the top would be affected and probably not a lot since the heat would rise and keep the top part warm. But covering it would not be a bad idea.