Concrete Contractor Licensing, Ins, Bonding Rqts In SC - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-21-2011, 01:47 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 29

Concrete contractor licensing, ins, bonding rqts in SC

I'm new to SC, so I don't even know who to ask this question. So I'll ask it everywhere I can think of!

I'm a homeowner who needs to break up a 15'x14' concrete slab outside my back door, so I can install a new larger slightly deeper one that can become a foundation for a flagstone patio.

What kind of licensing, insurance, and bonding requirements must a local concrete contractor have, in South Carolina, and Anderson County in particular?

I don't even know if contractor reqts are established in SC at the state or local level.

Advertisement

tomseeley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 08:18 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,468

state AND local,,, sc finally caught up to the rest of the country there is no reciprocity between sc & ga however, w/approval & paying off the locals [ buying a biz license ], a florida contractor can work,,, licensing is rqd - insurance & bonding is not.

YOU, on the other hand, as king of your castle, can pretty much do anything you want,,, go rent a bosch breaking gun ( the big one - 60# ),,, plug it in & break away to your heart's content,,, asking at your local bar-b-q stop will probably find some good guys,,, been a few yrs since i worked up there but also suggest you call the local conc plant for recommendations,,, don't be surprised at pricing - you usually get what you pay for

Advertisement

stadry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 09:50 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 500

City or county?

Things are pretty lax in our part of the country.

Even in the historic district in the city you don't need a permit to pour concrete walkways, patios, etc. We just put in a concrete and brick walkway, and a brick retaining wall at the office. The wall (under 2 feet from the footer) needed Board of Architectural Review in the historic district. No permit. You can check with the building department, but as far as I know there are no special licenses for concrete.

As far as taking the old one out, you might try an 8 lb hammer first. Even my driveway was only 2" thick in most parts. If you need a recommendation on a guy who specializes in water mitigation, but is a GC (he did my driveway in conjunction with foundation drainage), send me a PM.
pyper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011, 05:44 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 2,468

no idea of city/county rqmnts however state DOES have 'em for any contractor,,, our work was out on 85 w/scdot,,, 2" thick ???????
stadry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011, 10:16 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 500

Quote:
Originally Posted by itsreallyconc View Post

our work was out on 85 w/scdot,,, 2" thick ???????
I probably saw you then.

The driveway was funny. It was about 4" thick on the edges, but there were parts in the middle only 2". I'm amazed it hadn't cracked.

He was taking it out because part has sunk down due to water. When he got that part out, we could see under the carport slab. There was a 4" void under about half of it. . They drilled big holes and pumped concrete to fill it, and then made nice drainage.
pyper is offline   Reply With Quote