Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-22-2008, 08:24 PM   #1

Share |

Concerns On Hardiplank Install

I had my chimney re-sided with Hardiplank. During the job, the nails were counter sunk into the the siding, which does not follow the written installation instructions and would void the warranty. I had a "Hardi Rep" contact me (at the contractors urging) and he implied that not counter sinking the nails were specific to high wind area, which is not mentioned in the written instruction on the Hardie web site. I explained to him that the instructions did not have a difference, only a mention of following local building codes. I also explained that the installation instructions were specific. If a nail is counter sunk, it should be caulked then nailed again just below the original nail. He told me I was wrong. The instructions are as plain as they can be. While I am suspicious that this was a Hardi Rep, I have concerns that Hardi Reps are allowing installation of the product incorrectly. Does any one have any experience with this? I would hate to be in a position to have the remainder of my house re-sided with a product that allows this misinformation, making any application of the warranty difficult to understand.
Thanks!

ptra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2008, 03:53 PM   #2
J Calvin Construction

Was the siding blind nailed or face nailed. I blind nail mine and that is all. I use a mix of hand drives and nail gun roofing nails and then I cove them up with the next piece of siding. When I HAVE to face nail them, I use a small galvanized nail and drive it flush. I don't countersink because of the thickness of the product. If I countersink the heads, that leaves less meat behind the nail to hold on the siding. When the painter comes over the nails, they are almost impossible to see at more than 5 feet away.

You hired WHO?
jcalvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2008, 05:51 PM   #3
Lic. Builder/GC/Remodeler

Obviously, it sounds like the installer used a pnuematic siding gun, and had the depth adjustment too deep. Siding nails should never be below (penetrate) the siding's surface (countersunk).

Does it happen in some siding installations? Yes. Does it mean the siding is going to suffer? It depends on the siding material's content.
Will it affect fiber-cement board siding material? That's doubtful because of it's composition.
Personally, we usually blind nail HardiePlank.

In this situation, the best method would be as advised on the James Hardie Installation PDF. As you have already reviewed and cited. (Page 3 of 4): http://www.jameshardie.com/pdf/insta...lank_north.pdf

How do you know that the installation will void the warrantee?
HardiePlank siding warranty:
http://www.jameshardie.com/dealer/pr...Tab=jsnavLink2

As far as what the "alleged sale's rep" stated, I can't comment on it. I will say, that I have never heard that, from any source, or from my HardiePlank suppliers.
Tho, I have not talked directly to a James Hardie Sales Rep.

If this is going to keep you up at night, the thing to do is contact James Hardie directly and speak to someone in their technical department.
That is always the source I seek (manufacture's technical/engineering people) ...when it comes to materials questions, installation methods, etc. I don't trust the minimal knowledge of most sales reps.

Last edited by AtlanticWBConst.; 04-23-2008 at 06:01 PM.
AtlanticWBConst. is offline   Reply With Quote