Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-21-2010, 09:13 AM   #1

Share |

Concerned about drilling too far into the ground and disrupting the Tree root system

Father's Day gift to Dad: project for new seating area near pool. Problem: Redwood Trees.

We have a space 14' x 40' that we want to create some seating area out of, but there are 4 very large redwoods in it. If we can come up with a solution to integrate the redwoods for now, that's best on our budget.

I had thoguht to use the same cobblestones that we used over on another side of the yard...but with the redwood roots, it may be impossible to sink the cobbles down low enough for a smooth edge to the pool deck. So we either smooth it as best as possible and have the cobbles higher than the pool deck, or consider doing a deck with those plastic/treated deck beams.

I'm more partial to the cobbles...because if we have to cut the redwoods down the road, they could be popped up and then reused. If and when that is necessary, we'd put up an arbor/pergola of some kind overhead to replace the redwoods, but its out of our budget right now. Using the cobbles means we wouldn't be wasting building materials. If we built a deck type thingy, I think those beams wouldn't be able to be reused.

Any idears???? I appreciate your expert opinions!! I attached a couple of shots of the area I'm talking about.

Thank you, Jill
Attached Thumbnails
Concerned about drilling too far into the ground and disrupting the Tree root system-new-poolside-seating-area.jpg   Concerned about drilling too far into the ground and disrupting the Tree root system-type-cobblestones-would-like-use.jpg  

jjgonfamily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2010, 09:34 AM   #2

Concerned about drilling too far into the ground and disrupting the Tree root system

I have a similar floating deck that I'm planning to build, not attached to the house. Challenge is the redwood tree roots. I'm concerned about drilling too far into the ground and disrupting the root system. Any suggestions are appreciated. I'm in California, and since this will be only 6" off ground, not subject to our local building codes.

jjgonfamily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2010, 12:47 PM   #3
Totally screwed together

Looking at your trees, which are beautiful, I would try to incorporate them. Build something around them and treat them as big patio umbrellas.

Build a deck off the concrete edge spanning over the tree roots, and cover with trex or similar. Build seating with the back to the trunk, or perhaps with a couple half moon seating ares between the trunks.
xxPaulCPxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2010, 01:37 PM   #4
Handyman

I like Paul's idea. Wish I knew the distance from the fence to the trees. To add to paul's advice, maybe a hexagonal or octagonal seating arrangement around the trees.

Are those heaps beside the trees piles of dirt/mulch or are they the height of the roots?

Only bad side I can see is that privacy might be limited unless you could raise the lattice. (code in CA?)

I'd be happy to come take a look for free. Just cover the cost of postage and handling
canadaclub is offline   Reply With Quote