Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-01-2006, 04:44 PM   #1
Power Gen/RS Engineer

Share |

Composite decking question

Hi all. I posted this under the carpentry heading but thought it may be more appropriate here.

I just designed a two level deck and I intend on using composite in lieu of PT wood for the decking material (if anyone has a suggestion for a particular manufacturer, feel free to share as I am still researching). The entire structure will be based on pressure treated lumber but when I'm finished, I don't want the PT to be visible, especially the header and outside joists. Can I simply use the flooring material to mask the PT or do these companies offer their composites in alternative shapes, i.e. sheets? Also, with respect to the railings and ballusters, I want these to match the composite as well.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Bigjim

BigJimmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2006, 10:34 PM   #2

I highly recomend Correct deck brand. They have a fascia board to match the product to cover your framing members. Feel free to look around my website (link below in my signature line) Most of the decks on my website are Correct Deck brand. I also use Deckorators metal balusters with the Correct Deck.

Another recomendation for you is to get some samples of a few differant brands and colors before you decide. Place these outside in dirrect sun for a few weeks and see how they fade. Also take a tool of some sort and try to scratch the product. Pick your product based upon what damages the least / fades the least / looks the best over time.

robertcdf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2006, 08:23 AM   #3

I completed the first part of a large wrap around deck last summer. The next part will be added later this year which will wrap around an addition to the house and include a hot tub, bar-b-cue and multiple levels enhanced with a rose garden inside the enclosure.
I studied a number of systems concerning myself with simplicity of installation, durability and longevity. I selected TREX and have not been disappointed. TREX has all the components including posts, rails, siding, bender boards, wide selection of colors and a great selection of post caps including a solar lighted cap.
There are a number of good options available and most would have been okay. I am happy I picked TREX; the ease of installation and beauty of the finished product (and I have no experience in doing this) says I was right. I used scrap material to make some flower bed planters. Most of all, today it looks the same as it did when I put it up; no fade, no splintering or chipping,
dwayne is offline   Reply With Quote