Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-18-2011, 08:44 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

composite decking materials

We are planning to have a old wooden deck replaced with either a timber tech Rosewood, or Trex Lava rock. Is there any information about these products to help make the choice. What are people's experience with these two companies?

mlmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2011, 08:52 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,000

If you do a Google on each item, you will get reams and reams of feedback on each product. Many people will love them. Many people will hate them.

Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2011, 10:44 AM   #3

Hi mlmom,

I am a representative of Trex and would be happy to answer any questions you have concerning our product. Feel free to message or email me at

Brittany
Trex

Last edited by Gary in WA; 08-20-2011 at 01:29 PM. Reason: Removed link as per rules.
BrittanyM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2011, 12:09 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrittanyM View Post
Hi mlmom,

I am a representative of Trex and would be happy to answer any questions you have concerning our product. Feel free to message or email me at

Brittany
Trex
Brittany, will you tell the poster about all the lawsuits against Trex as well as all the good stuff?

Last edited by Gary in WA; 08-20-2011 at 01:30 PM. Reason: Removed link in quote as per rules.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Ron6519 For This Useful Post:
AGWhitehouse (08-19-2011), Gymschu (08-19-2011), kwikfishron (08-19-2011)
Old 08-19-2011, 08:27 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 75

Not sure about the deck, but I just did a realing replacement project with Timbertech Radiance Rail and love it.
Ranger1227 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2011, 01:28 PM   #6

"Members and/or users may only discuss details about their company and/or product offerings when the thread starter or poster has made direct reference to their company and stated something untrue or misleading, or something which clearly needs clarifying. The response must be in direct reference to the point discussed only and contain no added promotional information and/or fluff. It is advisable when in the above scenario to contact us first.
Participants may not include their company name as part of their username unless you are a local contractor and not selling anything to our members .
Exception: These rules do not apply to local contractors wishing to discuss their businesses, use their business name as their username, or link to their own companies websites. The key is that you must not be selling products or services to contractors or homeowners.
Exception: Users may link to commercial or informational sites as long as you have no vested interest in doing so. Example, someone posts a link to a new tool that they are using or to a leads service they have had success with. We are just trying to stop SELF PROMOTION and not valid discussions. We reserve the right to delete any message that we are unsure of its intentions."
Please read additional forum advertising rules at: http://www.diychatroom.com/faq.php?f...aq_advertising

Thank you,

Gary
Old 08-22-2011, 12:46 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 500

Ditch them both and look at either Fiberon Horizon or GAF DuraLife Siesta.
robertcdf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 11:20 AM   #8

mlmom and Ron6519,

The lawsuit focused on surface flaking. Trex has fully and publicly disclosed that a manufacturing problem affected a small percentage of product manufactured in its Fernley, Nevada plant beginning in 2003. Affected boards eventually will exhibit surface flaking. This issue was entirely isolated to parts of the West Coast and has since been remediated.

The company took a $45 million warranty reserve in the third quarter of 2007, and has honored, and continues to honor, its warranty with respect to all affected product. The manufacturing issues in the Nevada plant that caused the surface flaking have been completely remediated, and we have full confidence in Trex product being manufactured today.

Brittany
Trex
BrittanyM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 12:23 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrittanyM View Post
mlmom and Ron6519,

The lawsuit focused on surface flaking. Trex has fully and publicly disclosed that a manufacturing problem affected a small percentage of product manufactured in its Fernley, Nevada plant beginning in 2003. Affected boards eventually will exhibit surface flaking. This issue was entirely isolated to parts of the West Coast and has since been remediated.

The company took a $45 million warranty reserve in the third quarter of 2007, and has honored, and continues to honor, its warranty with respect to all affected product. The manufacturing issues in the Nevada plant that caused the surface flaking have been completely remediated, and we have full confidence in Trex product being manufactured today.

Brittany
Trex
I'd be curious as to the end users opinions and experience with Trex's warranty service in this regard.
Old 08-27-2011, 01:42 PM   #10

Rewards Points: 500

They have more issues than just the flaking.... however the flaking was a warranty issue and thats why they got sued. However looking good, holding color, mold, etc,etc is not covered and there are lots of unhappy customers with those problems. Of course Brittney will tell us how transcend fixes all of those problems ... There are alternatives that look better and perform better.
robertcdf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2011, 03:48 PM   #11

Go with timbertech their product and warranty is number one. I wouldn't install trex ever again they hurt me one too many times in the past.
dvatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2011, 07:23 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlmom
We are planning to have a old wooden deck replaced with either a timber tech Rosewood, or Trex Lava rock. Is there any information about these products to help make the choice. What are people's experience with these two companies?
Mlmom, did you decide between Timbertech and Trex transcends yet?

We are deciding between the two materials as well. I don't like what I'm reading about Trex because i dont know if their newer Trandscend line solved their old issues. I'm currently leaning towards Timbertech. I haven't been able to find too many negative reviews regarding them.
Ginfay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2011, 08:42 AM   #13

Transcend is loaded w problems tt reliaboard will be cheaper as well. Go to a lumberyard. Use either grk screws or the tt brand
Old 09-02-2011, 08:53 AM   #14
Civil Engineer

Rewards Points: 2,126

You may want to consider wood alternatives to composite. We built our deck using ipe (a South American hardwood). I recognize that there are legitimate issues regarding sustainability of tropical hardwoods, and if that is a concern, you may not want to consider them, however be aware that all composites consist partially of petroleum derived plastic combined with wood fiber, and there are NUMEROUS discussion threads on this website concerning discoloration, delamination, molding, cupping etc. of composite decking (do a search), which is partially why we decided to use tropical hardwood instead.

Our experience with the ipe has been very positive in terms of performance, of course the deck has only been in place for one year, but so far there is no mold, no discoloration, no cupping, in fact no problems. Installation was more difficult than with composites, because of the need to predrill every hole for the stainless fasteners. The wood is very stiff, so it was necessary to use a bending bar on approximately half the boards to get them in straight. Cost was very comparable to composite wood, mostly because we have a good supplier of ipe close to the house.

We looked at many different composite materials, but in the end we did not like the appearance of any of them, and the long term performance questions sealed the deal.
Daniel Holzman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Daniel Holzman For This Useful Post:
kwikfishron (09-02-2011)
Old 09-02-2011, 09:58 AM   #15

I would personally go with timber tech xlm it's a PVC board that is resistant to mold and fading. I install thousands of sq ft if this board with tiger claws hidden fastener. You won't be disappointed.