Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-27-2008, 06:19 PM   #1

Share |

Complete front of house with brick.....

This is current state of my residence. Ideally I would like to brick the entire front. Any suggestions on how to approach the 1' bump out section out that contains the picture window? All of the current brick sits on the foundation brick ledge.

tigerbalm2424 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2008, 06:57 AM   #2

You will not be able to simply remove the cladding and carry the brick up the wall from the wainscotting. It is not framed to do so and it will be very expensive to redo the framing. You might consider either thin brick or stucco.

Tscarborough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2008, 07:43 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tscarborough View Post
You will not be able to simply remove the cladding and carry the brick up the wall from the wainscotting. It is not framed to do so and it will be very expensive to redo the framing. You might consider either thin brick or stucco.
Ok, can you please explain why?

My understanding is that all of the weight should be placed on the brick ledge as part of the foundation.

Thanks.
Old 05-28-2008, 08:10 AM   #4

I did explain why. The framing is done so as to allow the cladding to flush-up with the wainscotting. To brick it up, you would have to basically tear down the entire front of the house and reframe it for brick veneer, which is obviously not a good option.
Old 05-28-2008, 08:16 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tscarborough View Post
I did explain why. The framing is done so as to allow the cladding to flush-up with the wainscotting. To brick it up, you would have to basically tear down the entire front of the house and reframe it for brick veneer, which is obviously not a good option.
Please explain what is meant by "the framing is done so". What is the difference between how mine is framed and how a ground up would be framed if they intended to brick veneer the entire house?
Old 05-28-2008, 09:09 AM   #6

Here you go:
Attached Thumbnails
Complete front of house with brick.....-wallmakeup.jpg  
Old 05-28-2008, 09:19 AM   #7

Great picture. Ok, so mine is the one on the left. I guess I still dont understand what would need to change to continue the brick up the wall. The current brick stops a couple feet up the wall and then the siding continues up the wall.

What is "cladding" material that is referenced in the image on the right? I guess I have never seen a situation where the brick veneer is supporting the walls.

Or maybe I am just completely lost! Which is why I am on here!

Last edited by tigerbalm2424; 05-28-2008 at 09:22 AM.
Old 05-28-2008, 09:28 AM   #8

Your house is on the right. The wood studs would have to be removed and replaced to resemble the one on the left. Cladding is whatever you see when you look at the house, be it vinyl, wood, or tin.

edit-the veneer is NOT supporting the walls.
Old 05-28-2008, 10:03 AM   #9

If you look from the side of the house, do you see a set back between the surface of the wainscot and the cladding? Looking at the picture provided in the first post, on the right side of the front door I can see the setback. That tells me that there is no different between framing the wall for brick veneer and cladding. The 2x frame runs flush with the foundation wall (not the ledge support the bricks) to the top of the main level.

That would be the illustration on the left, but showing cladding on top of the brick.

Here you go:
Attached Images

Since the existing brick veneer is supported on the ledge of the foundation wall, the new brick can be added to continue up to the soffit. Of course, the cladding will need to be removed. There will be a need for steel lintel above the two lower windows. The arched window above the front door will need some kind of support.

As far as for adding brick veneer on the 1 foot bump out, there is nothing to support the bricks based on the existing condition, Image the weight all of the bricks on that surface! Modification to the framing has to be considered if you still want brick veneer there. You may want to consult with the structural engineer to find out what can be done.
Eagle2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2008, 10:43 AM   #10

You may be right. It actually looks like it was designed to be brick veneer, and they decided not to. In that case, you should be fine. You will have to look at the framing to be sure, though.
Old 05-28-2008, 11:24 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagle2 View Post
As far as for adding brick veneer on the 1 foot bump out, there is nothing to support the bricks based on the existing condition, Image the weight all of the bricks on that surface! Modification to the framing has to be considered if you still want brick veneer there. You may want to consult with the structural engineer to find out what can be done.
Thanks all for the responses.

Regarding the 1 foot bump out. I realized this when I wrote posted the thread as I am looking for ideas. I am more than willing to extend a footing out following the contours of the bump out and then frame and start bricking. The issue would be trying to make the frame work around the lower window, which I also looking for ideas for. Would there be any other options than this?

Thanks again.
Old 05-28-2008, 11:56 AM   #12

My responds are in blue. I gotta figure out what to use the quote thing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerbalm2424 View Post

Regarding the 1 foot bump out. I realized this when I wrote posted the thread as I am looking for ideas. I am more than willing to extend a footing out following the contours of the bump out and then frame and start bricking. The issue would be trying to make the frame work around the lower window, which I also looking for ideas for.

You can do it that way, add a footing along the outline of the bump out and then frame up to the underside of the existing overhang. If you are doing it this way, then move the window forward to the new wall. This will create a deeper window sill, but I think it is better than have a deep 'hole' in the exterior wall.

Would there be any other options than this?

I remembered from a presentation I went to that showed, I think, eifs that bricks in appearance and since it is light, the mounting bracket can be screwed to the stud and then mount the eifs. At the moment, I don't remember exactly what it is called and a website to refer to. I will get back to you on that.
Old 05-28-2008, 12:25 PM   #13

Well, I think I am going to try and stay away from moving the window. This might take some thinking.......
Old 06-02-2008, 11:12 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagle2 View Post

At the moment, I don't remember exactly what it is called and a website to refer to. I will get back to you on that.

It is called Dryvit. The website is:

http://www.dryvit.com/home.asp?country_id=1