Complete Drywall Job - .89/sq Ft - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-23-2007, 09:47 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 156

Complete drywall job - .89/sq ft

I read a thread here that I should expect to pay about .50 per sq foot.

I got 2 quotes so far and both of them were about .89, I figure there's some region costs that must be factored bit almost double?? What do you think is a realistic price?

Advertisement

jelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2007, 10:47 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,000

You're basically asking for someone to, " guess your weight", over the internet. Interesting, but hardly practical. Estimates are based on region, the type of job, what the job looks like, etc...
Cathedral ceilings? Crappy drywall installation? Post details and some pictures of the job. If the drywall isn't up yet, that might explain the estimates. Other explanations would be, they both have plenty of business, or both are large companies with a high overhead, and on and on..
Try smaller companies or the local papers. See their work before you hire them.
Ron

Advertisement

Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2007, 09:23 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 156

That's just it, there is nothing fancy about what I need done. There's 3 bedrooms 10 x 12 each and a hallway. There are no cathedral ceilings and its all new construction. The dry wall is not up yet, it would have to be hung, taped and mudded.

Thanks Ron, I'll call some of the "smaller" guys.
jelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2007, 10:21 AM   #4
Woodworker and Contractor

Rewards Points: 150

You have to figure in the setup cost for jobs affects the sf price a 100 sheet job is cheaper per sf then a 1 sheet job. Smaller companys are able to work this better then companies ready to hang a 3000 sf home. In the end you get what you pay for, if two good contractors tell you 89 sf for you're area I you go with a low bid of 45 sf be careful and don't cry about poor quality latter
Kingfisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2007, 11:27 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 500

3000 sq. ft. house - .50 sq. ft.

300 sq ft in 3 rooms would not still be .50 sq. ft.
LawnGuyLandSparky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2007, 02:14 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 518

Are you saying 89 per ft to hang tape and mud or just tape and mud?
ponch37300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2007, 11:03 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 10

I own a drywall company in the midwest. We price our jobs anywhere from .80- $1.00+ on new construction depending on complexity. I would say .89 for material and labor including all cleanup for a one time job for a homeowner (not a builder) would be a fair price for a simple 8ft ceiling house. Beware of the smaller guys!! get refrences. to many bad contractors out there. You usually get what you pay for.
rutalkn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2007, 08:54 AM   #8
Handyguy

Rewards Points: 500
Send a message via Skype™ to Brik

Around here $1.10 per sq ft

Includes all materials (1/2" drywall, corner beads, mud, tape, etc), "glued and screwed", taped and ready for paint. Does not include painting. Does include cleanup and delivery of materials.

That was best price among 3 quotes and was from a company that does residential and commercial drywall ONLY. Project was about 2400 sq ft of drywall for a basement and included ceilings and soffits.

Overall I would rate the company I used a B+ to A-.

A+ on price
A+ on time (Delivered Monday, hung Tuesday and taped and finished by Friday)
B- on cleanup (They expected a dumpster which wasn't onsite and left dust on the walls that needed removed before painting)
B+ on quality (An outside corner of a soffit needed a little touchup before painting and one weird outside angle/butt joint needed feathered out further)

So, If you are getting what I described above and similar quality for .89c I would say go for it. For .50c its a steal, regardless of location, IMO
Brik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2007, 11:16 AM   #9

Rewards Points: 250

If you read the Sunday Classifieds in the Services Section, you may come across one or several independent drywallers who, after working years for a large contractor, have struck out on their own and specialize in smaller one-man jobs. I came across such a guy here in AZ and I've recommended him several times to my own customers who retained his services and who have raved to me about the quality of his work. When I met him, he was drywalling a section of ceiling in an old house that had several uneven, non-flush sections as a result of an add-on and a few poor DIY rennovations over the years. He floated those areas of the new ceiling flawlessly and did an A-1 super job, all by himself. Even textured it to match the rest of the ceilings throughout the house. And, his prices were more than reasonable for the results achieved. Just a thought.

Advertisement

End Grain is offline   Reply With Quote