Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-19-2007, 03:03 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Commercial Shell Construction Costs

This is for a good cause so your input will be appreciated.

I participated in building the first half of our church. It's a very nice building, complicated to build and we had a very good contractor build it for us. We have a lot of tradespeople in our parish, but the building was too complicated for our level of skills.

We need to finish the project and build a social hall, but we don't have the money to do it the same way like we built the church. Our guys are pretty good at finding people who will do decent work at a rock bottom price. I figure this kind of building will be simple enough that we can probably sub it out ourselves.

I want to put up a 21,000 square foot shell, either using steel studs or masonry, whichever is cheaper. Brick veneer with stucco on the 3 unexposed sides. As little work inside as possible ... concrete slab only. We just need the space. The only thing we would be splurging on would be nice windows running along 2 of the sides

I saw a church in Las Vegas that was all poured concrete with DryVit or stucco. Their social hall stayed unfinished for 10 years until they finally finished it off.

What is a realistic price I should expect for a bare bones building like this? Is $35 psf realistic? (We are in the midwest.)

dirtyharry667 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2007, 07:01 PM   #2
General Contractor

Rewards Points: 500

I would hazard a guess that tilt wall concrete construction would be your answer, and probably under that budget.

joasis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2007, 09:36 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 500

the DryVit itself will cost you that much I priced it out for my home and it was way out of what I was thinking now a contractor is giving me a quote for it eventhough I told him I didnt want it and he is talking in the 50-60 tho range for a 4600 sqf ranch
clasact is offline   Reply With Quote