Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-14-2009, 08:50 AM   #1

Share |

Commercial Construction Question

I'm guessing that this may be a stretch, but I need some advice...

I hired a contractor that I had believed was licensed and bonded, with 25 years of experience, and that provided references. Turns out he is not licensed and bonded, and the wall he built for me is not up to code.

He built a wall using 2x4's and 1/2 drywall, and the city is requiring it to meet 2003 IBC 11-1.2 (which is metal stud construction.) As you can imagine, I have a problem on my hands...

I don't want to have to sue someone at Christmas time. I'd rather just get things fixed... With that in mind, another business owner made a suggestion that I thought was worth checking into.

Can I add additional drywall to the existing wall in order to make it meet the required fire rating? Does the 2003 IBC allow for the substitution of materials if the fire rating is still met? If so, I would really appreciate a reference to point out to the city inspector. I'm not having any luck finding one on my own...

Thanks guys!

Photog_Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2009, 10:32 AM   #2
Household Handyman

I don't have the exact/specific answer to your question, but--As a "Household HandyMan" type contractor (with license/insurance/bonding), I find that one of my most valuable resources for code information happens to be: The local Code Department itself. On the project you are speaking about, I would not hesitate to call and ask one of the Code Enforcement Officers (or whatever they are called in your area) to actually come out and explain what can be done with what is already there to be "code compliant". Just my 2 worth, David

Thurman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2009, 03:03 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thurman View Post
I don't have the exact/specific answer to your question, but--As a "Household HandyMan" type contractor (with license/insurance/bonding), I find that one of my most valuable resources for code information happens to be: The local Code Department itself. On the project you are speaking about, I would not hesitate to call and ask one of the Code Enforcement Officers (or whatever they are called in your area) to actually come out and explain what can be done with what is already there to be "code compliant". Just my 2 worth, David
ditto - talk to the inspector folks and ask for their help and suggestions, I have found them quite willing to work with me on various items over the years.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2009, 04:49 PM   #4
nap
You talking to me?

from what I can see in the IBC is that 11-1.2 is a steel studded framing covered with 5/8" plaster on each side, not drywall.

It carries a 2 hour fire rating.

http://www.scribd.com/doc/15491911/2...Building-Code5

Is there some reason they spec'd a steel stud? Plaster rather than drywall?

For a 2 hour rated wall using wood studs (3 5/8) you need 2 layers each side of 5/8" drywall (UL spec) applied properly with the proper nails or screws and the studding needs to be fire stopped as needed. There are many little details that change how a wall is rated so do not accept just what I posted as the answer.

so, what you really need to do is find out if they are designing your building by requiring some specific building method or materials or are they requiring the wall to meet a specific fire rating?
nap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2009, 05:20 PM   #5

I worked with an architect on a commercial job and asked if I could change a UL fire rated wall and he said fine as long as it was a UL listed wall that met his rating. It took some searching thru the book but I realized there are many ways to get to the same rating thru diff framing techniques. you may have to use a book at the inspectors office or maybe someone here can point you to an online place for searching but I;m guessing it is doable unless it's a small wall thats easier to demo and redo
tpolk is offline   Reply With Quote