Is This Column Structural? - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-11-2011, 04:03 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Is this column structural?

I would like to remove a column from an opening in a load bearing wall. The opening is between the original house (single story, late 50's) and an add-on family room (70's). There is a chance that the column was added as decoration by the previous owner.

The header is composed of one 8'+ 4"x10" beam and one 4"x4" beam. The rough opening is 94". On one side there are one or two 2x4 king struts and one 2x4 jack strut. There is a 1" gap between the king strut and jack strut. Not sure about the other side yet. From what I have read, the header size seems fine for a less than 8 ft opening but I seem to be lacking at least a jack strut.

Thanks for any input.
Attached Thumbnails
Is this column structural?-headdim.jpg   Is this column structural?-header2.jpg  

Advertisement

CosmoDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 12:18 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 150

Hard to say if it's structural or not. Best I can tell you is to get in the attic and look to see if it's carrying any load like joists or rafter tails or any bracing. If not, tear it out.

Advertisement

TrapperL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2011, 08:59 PM   #3
Dytecture

Rewards Points: 75

while you are at the attic, check to see whether the ceiling joists run parallel or perpendicular to the beam. If they run perpendicular, chances are that column is structural.

http://www.dytecture.ca
dytecture is offline   Reply With Quote