Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-25-2006, 01:51 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

column removal

I have a 2 family house in the basement are 4 columns under the bearing walls - they are 6 ft apart - I want to remove the first one (six ft off the foundation wall) and sister two 9 1/2" microlams to the existing (3) 2x10 - the span will only be 12ft - what do you think

Tony D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2006, 02:21 PM   #2
General Contractor

Rewards Points: 500

column removal

More info needed and you will need an onsight look from a building inspector for sure. Good luck.

joasis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2006, 03:56 PM   #3

Location: Minneapolis/St. Paul, Minnesota - Latitude 45.057 Longitude -93.074
Rewards Points: 2,074

column removal

joasis is absolutely correct.

That column that you want to get rid of has a load on it that is twice what it puts on the wall.

No mater what you do, you will have deflection at the location of the old column. Sometimes delfection and feel are ore important than just the strength. In the end you trade the open space below for a little floor "bounce". Should not be bad with only 12' span.

Since it probably a rental, you should probably go through the ropes of getting a permit. Some home inspectors are now pointing out building modifications and to look out for the purchaser and make sure it is all correct. Especially on rental properties.

concretemasonry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2006, 07:08 PM   #4
Lic. Builder/GC/Remodeler

Rewards Points: 2,000

column removal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony D View Post
I have a 2 family house in the basement are 4 columns under the bearing walls - they are 6 ft apart - I want to remove the first one (six ft off the foundation wall) and sister two 9 1/2" microlams to the existing (3) 2x10 - the span will only be 12ft - what do you think
Off the top of my head, I would say look into doing the span with a steel beam....
....either, way...I would not suggest that you do anything without professional ON SITE consultation. (funny, I actually wrote that before I read Joasis's comment) ....
...You are 'talking' about what is probabaly the biggest investment in your life (You home)...

Last edited by AtlanticWBConst.; 10-25-2006 at 07:11 PM.
AtlanticWBConst. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2006, 09:00 AM   #5
Another Round

Rewards Points: 10

column removal

As said in previous posts, more info is needed.

1 solution would be to add a 1/2" or 3/4" x 9" Steel plate. We have done this several times in existing basements when columns are removed.

You should check with a structural engineer come out to the site and give you the correct size.
cat44 is offline   Reply With Quote