Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-14-2012, 09:48 AM   #1

Share |

Colored Concrete

Does anyone have experience with pouring colored concrete? It seems like a great idea in many situations. There are some powders sold that will change the gray into another earthy color. I was wondering how stable these colors would be and the differences in working the pour. I understand that they may not be exact and consistent to color charts.

ovahimba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2012, 10:28 AM   #2

Location: Minneapolis/St. Paul, Minnesota - Latitude 45.057 Longitude -93.074

Colored Concrete

If you mix a small amount yourself, the pigment selected has little to do with the uniformity and the resulting color. It is all dependent on the accuracy of the amount of color dosed (good pigment is VERY strong and a few grams in a small batch can change the hue). Also, the amount of water used can change the hue. Of course, the finishing and placement also have an effect.

To get uniformity, if possible, buy 5 or 10 yards of colored concrete delivered in a truck. This guarantees uniformity of the batch.

The "powder" (pigments actually) have an effect. The only good pigments are synthetic iron oxides and are very strong. Natural iron oxides are not as strong, are variable and contain some impurities because they are no refined like the synthetic. If you are using black, definitely use synthetic black iron oxide. Avoid carbon black that is commonly used in mortar because it wears away and fades with time.

Unfortunately, the synthetic oxides are hard for a consumer to obtain (especially in a small quantity), so that leaves you at the mercy of a seller offering other pigments in a limited selection of colors. If you can find out what the pigment type is, you have some control. After that it is up to your measurement and consistency.

Dick

concretemasonry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2012, 01:28 PM   #3

Colored Concrete

Thank you very much for the info. I'm pouring a small pad for the base of some stairs so a truck load wouldn't make sense. I'll have to try a couple samples before I do the real thing.
ovahimba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2012, 01:41 PM   #4

Colored Concrete

It would be a lot simply to just do your pore let it sit up a month or so and stain it. with concrete stain.
joecaption is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2012, 02:54 PM   #5

Colored Concrete

I've ordered the same bottles of pigment the concrete company's use through the concrete company. They come with color codes to determine how much coloring per bag of cement. You can also order it online. Soloman coloring is what the concrete company's use and can be obtained in small bottles.
Ninjaframer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2012, 03:43 PM   #6

Colored Concrete

joecaption has a good answer. Pick a non-sunny day wet it down , some lowes has pint bottles of coloring five bucks each ,mix a little with water, use rubber gloves and use your imagination, one color at a time.Use a concrete sealer as it brings the colors alive.

bernieb is offline   Reply With Quote