Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-28-2011, 07:19 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

collar ties & plywood ceiling

I am new to construction so if I sound stupid I apologize in advance. I recently purchased a new construction home. It has a detached garage with a separate room on top. I chose not to have the builder finish out the room (~10k) and make it a project that me and my wife could possibly do. Every roof rafter in this separate room has an 8' 2x6 collar tie attached to it. These are just nailed to the roof rafters. My question is can I use these collar ties to hang a plywood ceiling from?

Thanks.

st9000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 07:25 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 3,110

Why plywood, it needs insulation and 5/8 sheetrock not plywood.
What's there now, any insulation or foam baffles in the rafer bays?

joecaption is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 07:37 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 150

The direct answer is yes, but, you need to make sure the collar ties that you are using as ceiling joists were set even. If the carpenter knew they were not being finished he may not have put care into their placement. In most munipalities a building permit is required for the conversion of unfinshed space to a habitable space. Whether or not a building permit is required it is always a good idea to install a fire separation. That usually means that you are installing one layer of 5/8" type X gypsum board, taped and spackled on the horizontal fire separation and supporting structure (ceiling and walls). Also, if you are accessing the second floor from the garage the stairway enclosure will require the fire separation, including the door if it opens to the garage. One more thing; if you are insulating and hanging plywood or gypsum on the ceiling joists and rafters, be sure to ventilate. Talk it over with the Building Dept.
TheCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 07:40 PM   #4

I already had the plywood but if I need to use sheetrock I can. Currently there is no insulation in the rafters bays. The garage is shaped like a barn with a second story room.
Old 12-28-2011, 08:07 PM   #5

it's going to be more of a hobby room. Not going to be used for sleeping or living in. I just want to close it in and make it look nice and possibly install a window A/C unit for those hot south Texas summers. I will check the building codes. The house is only about 7 months old but all I want to do at the moment is attach a ceiling (w/ insulation above) and finish the walls (currently there are just 2x4's running on the sides with storage space behind).

I just don't want to start putting a load (plywood/Sheetrock ceiling) on the collar ties if they cannot support it and have my garage fall down.

Thanks.
Old 12-29-2011, 10:06 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 2,000

Depends on which code you are under....... IRC allows 1/4" wood paneling without drywall underneath if it meets certain standards: http://publicecodes.citation.com/ico...002_par017.htm

Click on the top blue title (IRC) for the main page. You need egress from the space, electrical, heating/ventilation, attic ventilation/insulation, possibly a vapor retarder/barrier (depends on location), a permit to finish/use the space for your H.O.Insurance carrier if ever a claim, smoke detectors, etc.....

Gary