Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-16-2012, 10:07 PM   #1

Share |

Collar Ties & Ceiling Joists for Shed Roof

I am building an 8x12 shed with a 10ft overhang. The overhang will be sitting on double 2x8 beams supported by 2 6x6 posts. I will be using 2x6 rafters and 2x8 ridge beam for a gable roof.

My question is do I need collar ties or ceiling joists on the rafters on such a small span (1/2 of 8ft - 4ft rafter span to the ridge). I would like to keep all the height I can. Im sure the shed area would be fine its just the rafters sitting on the beams on the overhang. I dont want roof load bowing the beams.

Thanks

ordonyez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 07:05 AM   #2

Not a simple questions since it depends on snow and wind loads for locations, also not clear what you mean by overhang.

In general to make this work you need the ridge "beam" to hold the top end of the rafters up, most times it is the other way around. You need to place a column at the ends of your gable roof that carry the load from this beam all they way down to the foundation. If you cannot just put a tall column at the ends it gets even more complex to carry the load down.

When you look at the loads you have a 2ftx12 ft area on each side wall and a 4ft x12ft area on the top beam. So you need to pick something that can carry your 48 sq ft of roof load and not bend too much. This is the key issue how many lbs/sq ft and how much bend is too much. If you get the numbers you can look this up in the table. I know a single 2x8 will not do it. I would bet you are going to need a double 2x8 or even a double 2x10.

bill01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 08:28 AM   #3

The overhang will be an additional 10' of gable roof without walls under it. This gable roof will continue past the shed and run an additional 10 on some double 2x8 support beams supported by 6x6 posts.
Old 05-17-2012, 09:40 AM   #4
DIY or die !

FYI my 10x10 shed has no collar ties. 2x4s for walls and the roof 16oc. The ridge beam is a 2x6. And the floor is all 2x6pt, doubled on the edges. Just make the roof steep enough, and use METAL roofing. You'll be golden. Just make sure your foundation is SOUND. My shed is SOLID and I live in a place that gets TONS of snow ! No issues in the last 2 years.
lewisthepilgrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 05:33 PM   #5

ya the shed will be on a slab.
Old 05-17-2012, 05:47 PM   #6

If I'm envisioning this correctly, there is no horizontal member connecting the tops of the 6x6 posts? If so, then there is nothing to stop the rafters from spreading. The 10 x 10 shed without rafter ties someone else mentioned probably gets away with this because it has 4 full walls.

shazapple is offline   Reply With Quote