Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-02-2011, 01:37 PM   #1

Share |
Exclamation

Cold Storage Room Help

Hello, we have a cold storage room in our wood basement, but it doesn't get cool enough to keep potatoes from sprouting and getting soft over the winter, we live in Saskatchewan Canada so the winters are anywhere from - 15 celsius to - 30 at the coldest.
I am looking for information on what to do to make our cold room colder... the walls are finished with gyproc and also insulated, we have one 2" or 3" pipe that we put in to get some cold air in from outside, but it's not helping very much.
Hope you can help us....

Gwen4280

Gwen4280 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 01:40 PM   #2

Cold Storage Room Help

My goodness that's cold. I can't even imagine that. Can you build a little box outside to keep them in?

Broughton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 02:30 PM   #3

Cold Storage Room Help

Since you have an inlet from the outside already. I'd add a vent fan and duct it to near the floor on the opposite side of the room. This will draw air in through your passive vent and chill the room. You could use a thermostat (temp controller) on the fan to control the temperature.
GottaFixIt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 10:20 PM   #4

Cold Storage Room Help

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broughton View Post
My goodness that's cold. I can't even imagine that. Can you build a little box outside to keep them in?
Nope that wouldn't work as they would freeze. And we usually have about 100 to 200 lbs
Old 08-02-2011, 10:23 PM   #5

Cold Storage Room Help

Gottafixit gave you a great idea, what about that?
Old 08-02-2011, 10:23 PM   #6

Cold Storage Room Help

Quote:
Originally Posted by GottaFixIt View Post
Since you have an inlet from the outside already. I'd add a vent fan and duct it to near the floor on the opposite side of the room. This will draw air in through your passive vent and chill the room. You could use a thermostat (temp controller) on the fan to control the temperature.
I'm not exaclty sure what you mean... can you explain a little more.... ie what kind of a vent fan you mean.
The other thing is, the wall oposite the inlet is an inside wall, will that still work? Thanks
Old 08-02-2011, 11:08 PM   #7

Cold Storage Room Help

It would just be a little fan in a box that you would mount over the inlet on the wall. It is like the vent fan in your restroom. It would bring in cold air from outside and blow it on your taters.
Old 08-03-2011, 08:24 AM   #8
Newly Retired

Cold Storage Room Help

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gwen4280 View Post
Hello, we have a cold storage room in our wood basement, but it doesn't get cool enough to keep potatoes from sprouting and getting soft over the winter, we live in Saskatchewan Canada so the winters are anywhere from - 15 celsius to - 30 at the coldest.
I am looking for information on what to do to make our cold room colder... the walls are finished with gyproc and also insulated, we have one 2" or 3" pipe that we put in to get some cold air in from outside, but it's not helping very much.
Hope you can help us....

Gwen4280
I have a wooden basement also and have a cold room in the corner it has a dirt or sandy floor. I use a Dryer vent to bring the cold air in from the top of the wall and also use and elbow inside with a piece of 6' vent pipe to get the cold air down to the floor. I also have a vent at the top coming out of the room on the opposite wall to expel warmer air. I have a damper on the incoming vent to regulate the cold air coming in and it has worked great for years. My basement or 7' crawl space is not finished just use it for storage and a cold room. You may have to put a larger vent coming in.
tuchodi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 06:20 PM   #9

Cold Storage Room Help

Thanks for all your help... I was wondering if it would work if we put in another inlet on the other side of the room... (we have one inlet on the south side, the only other outside wall is on the west side of the house), would that also work, or do we need the fan?
Old 08-03-2011, 06:30 PM   #10

Cold Storage Room Help

Most likely a vent fan is the best option. I don't envision lots of air movement at that right angle. It's also aimless since you don't have to pierce the exterior envelope again.
Old 08-04-2011, 09:40 AM   #11
Newly Retired

Cold Storage Room Help

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gwen4280 View Post
Thanks for all your help... I was wondering if it would work if we put in another inlet on the other side of the room... (we have one inlet on the south side, the only other outside wall is on the west side of the house), would that also work, or do we need the fan?
I don't think it matters which wall you put the vent on mine is on the north wall and I keep vegetables in it all winter until the summer and no problem. When June comes along most of my vegetables are eaten and of coarse are a little soft. Do you have a dirt floor? From all my research that seamed to be the biggest problem with keeping veg a long time, they seam to do not very well if you have a concrete floor.
tuchodi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 12:33 AM   #12

Cold Storage Room Help

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuchodi View Post
I don't think it matters which wall you put the vent on mine is on the north wall and I keep vegetables in it all winter until the summer and no problem. When June comes along most of my vegetables are eaten and of coarse are a little soft. Do you have a dirt floor? From all my research that seamed to be the biggest problem with keeping veg a long time, they seam to do not very well if you have a concrete floor.

We have a cement floor... our old house also had a cement floor and potatoes kept very well in there.. right up till May or June.
Old 08-07-2011, 12:34 AM   #13

Cold Storage Room Help

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broughton View Post
Most likely a vent fan is the best option. I don't envision lots of air movement at that right angle. It's also aimless since you don't have to pierce the exterior envelope again.

Thanks for your help!! Will definately have to try the vent, hopefully that works well! Thanks again!!