Cold Basement Floor - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-09-2010, 06:18 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 75

Cold Basement Floor

Ok. I need ideas folks. Links to website or pictures help.

I am re-building a burned down home for a client. The basement has poured walls and a 4" slab. My client wants to finish a large recroom area but, has concerns about the floor being cold. How best to limit that cold feeling?

The slab is already poured.

Advertisement

Nucon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 07:20 PM   #2
Concrete & Masonry

Rewards Points: 2,144

Cold Basement Floor

Carpet with padding.

Advertisement

jomama45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 07:32 PM   #3

Cold Basement Floor

thanks jomama. looking for something more though.
Old 12-09-2010, 07:46 PM   #4
Concrete & Masonry

Cold Basement Floor

How about green treated sleepers shot down with rigid foam in between, and covered with plywood?

They also have a system out called "dri-core" IIRC, but it is more expensive than the first system.
Old 12-09-2010, 07:50 PM   #5
A Little Of Everything

Rewards Points: 1,098

Cold Basement Floor

Under-tile floor heating system?

http://www.thermosoft.com/thermotile...FRBW2godLymJnQ
DrHicks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2010, 02:25 PM   #6

Cold Basement Floor

jomama - by using this method I would have two concerns. 1. how to correct a step difference at the bottom of the stair case and built up floor. Code would only allow me 1/4" difference from other riser heights. 2. I'm guessing I would have to raise the exterior door to sit flush with the built up floor.

DRhicks- I looked at the web site but didnt find any mention of this being used under carpet and padding. Any idea if this would be an acceptable use?
Old 12-10-2010, 03:43 PM   #7
A Little Of Everything

Rewards Points: 1,098

Cold Basement Floor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nucon View Post
jomama - by using this method I would have two concerns. 1. how to correct a step difference at the bottom of the stair case and built up floor. Code would only allow me 1/4" difference from other riser heights. 2. I'm guessing I would have to raise the exterior door to sit flush with the built up floor.

DRhicks- I looked at the web site but didnt find any mention of this being used under carpet and padding. Any idea if this would be an acceptable use?
I got the impression he did not want to use carpet.

Personally, I'd think this would be a pointless expense if you were going to carpet.
DrHicks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2010, 04:12 PM   #8

Rewards Points: 1,000

Cold Basement Floor

I think you have a nearly impossible task. If carpet is not enough, and you don't want to raise the floor and foam it, you're in a tough spot. No matter what you do, if there is no insulation under the slab, you are going to be pumping heat down there. Bummer. We put lock-together hard foam blocks (like for a playroom) over a very cold slab and they helped a lot. Perhaps that and carpet/more pad will help enough. OR, use the radiant heat you install w/in plywood that has pre-routed grooves for the pex. That would be a minimal height change, but still you will be blowing heat into the earth pretty badly. No ideal solutions.
jklingel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2010, 06:37 AM   #9

Cold Basement Floor

I used this stuff after we had water in our basement.You can buy them by 4x8 sheets or the roll(which i bought). It is a little expensive however if you decide to put laminate down you can go directly on top of it eliminating the need for a subfloor.

http://www.cosella-dorken.com/bvf-ca...roducts/fl.php
zoolou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2010, 09:09 AM   #10

Rewards Points: 2,466

Cold Basement Floor

no matter what, the floor'll be cold reflecting ambient earth temp under the slab HOWEVER you can attach elec heating mats to the existing conc then cover w/polymer-modified concrete w/VERY fine aggregate,,, usually, because of $, its only done in bathrooms
stadry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2010, 10:28 PM   #11
Concrete & Masonry

Cold Basement Floor

If the house is burned out and requiring vast work already, why not cut a new set of stringers & treads?
Old 12-13-2010, 09:28 AM   #12

Cold Basement Floor

Quote:
Originally Posted by jklingel View Post
I think you have a nearly impossible task. If carpet is not enough, and you don't want to raise the floor and foam it, you're in a tough spot. No matter what you do, if there is no insulation under the slab, you are going to be pumping heat down there. Bummer. We put lock-together hard foam blocks (like for a playroom) over a very cold slab and they helped a lot. Perhaps that and carpet/more pad will help enough. OR, use the radiant heat you install w/in plywood that has pre-routed grooves for the pex. That would be a minimal height change, but still you will be blowing heat into the earth pretty badly. No ideal solutions.

Raising the floor is probably the best solution seeing the slab is already poured. The PEX radiant solution will probably be turned down because of the cost to install and operate. Although it would be one of my top choices.
Old 12-13-2010, 09:33 AM   #13

Cold Basement Floor

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrHicks View Post
I got the impression he did not want to use carpet.

Personally, I'd think this would be a pointless expense if you were going to carpet.

Oops, sorry. The flooring finish is still "undecided" but our discussions have been about installing pad and carpet. If the homeowner does go with carpet I'll push a moisture guard padding.
Old 12-13-2010, 09:45 AM   #14

Cold Basement Floor

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoolou View Post
I used this stuff after we had water in our basement.You can buy them by 4x8 sheets or the roll(which i bought). It is a little expensive however if you decide to put laminate down you can go directly on top of it eliminating the need for a subfloor.

http://www.cosella-dorken.com/bvf-ca...roducts/fl.php
Thats what I like about reaching out to this board. You get exposed to a new products and ideas. I never seen this product before.

Looks like using this product with carpeting requires a built up floor system. After reading the FAQ on their website it looks like a radiant floor system can be used as well. I know the client wants a click and lock laminate floor in their sunroom so maybe the woudlnt mind a laminate floor system in the basement as well. I'll have to bring this up in our next meeting.
Old 12-13-2010, 09:49 AM   #15

Cold Basement Floor

Quote:
Originally Posted by itsreallyconc View Post
no matter what, the floor'll be cold reflecting ambient earth temp under the slab HOWEVER you can attach elec heating mats to the existing conc then cover w/polymer-modified concrete w/VERY fine aggregate,,, usually, because of $, its only done in bathrooms
Yeah, the polymer will up the cost. The heat mats and controls alone will be a nice drop in the bucket too.

Advertisement