Cold Basement Floor - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum


Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-09-2010, 06:18 PM   #1
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: N.VA
Posts: 52
Rewards Points: 75
Default

Cold Basement Floor


Ok. I need ideas folks. Links to website or pictures help.

I am re-building a burned down home for a client. The basement has poured walls and a 4" slab. My client wants to finish a large recroom area but, has concerns about the floor being cold. How best to limit that cold feeling?

The slab is already poured.

Advertisement

Nucon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 07:20 PM   #2
Concrete & Masonry
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 2,796
Rewards Points: 2,144
Default

Cold Basement Floor


Carpet with padding.

Advertisement

jomama45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 07:32 PM   #3
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: N.VA
Posts: 52
Rewards Points: 75
Default

Cold Basement Floor


thanks jomama. looking for something more though.
Nucon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 07:46 PM   #4
Concrete & Masonry
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 2,796
Rewards Points: 2,144
Default

Cold Basement Floor


How about green treated sleepers shot down with rigid foam in between, and covered with plywood?

They also have a system out called "dri-core" IIRC, but it is more expensive than the first system.
jomama45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 07:50 PM   #5
A Little Of Everything
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Omaha, NE
Posts: 2,209
Rewards Points: 1,098
Default

Cold Basement Floor


Under-tile floor heating system?

http://www.thermosoft.com/thermotile...FRBW2godLymJnQ
DrHicks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2010, 02:25 PM   #6
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: N.VA
Posts: 52
Rewards Points: 75
Default

Cold Basement Floor


jomama - by using this method I would have two concerns. 1. how to correct a step difference at the bottom of the stair case and built up floor. Code would only allow me 1/4" difference from other riser heights. 2. I'm guessing I would have to raise the exterior door to sit flush with the built up floor.

DRhicks- I looked at the web site but didnt find any mention of this being used under carpet and padding. Any idea if this would be an acceptable use?
Nucon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2010, 03:43 PM   #7
A Little Of Everything
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Omaha, NE
Posts: 2,209
Rewards Points: 1,098
Default

Cold Basement Floor


Quote:
Originally Posted by Nucon View Post
jomama - by using this method I would have two concerns. 1. how to correct a step difference at the bottom of the stair case and built up floor. Code would only allow me 1/4" difference from other riser heights. 2. I'm guessing I would have to raise the exterior door to sit flush with the built up floor.

DRhicks- I looked at the web site but didnt find any mention of this being used under carpet and padding. Any idea if this would be an acceptable use?
I got the impression he did not want to use carpet.

Personally, I'd think this would be a pointless expense if you were going to carpet.
DrHicks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2010, 04:12 PM   #8
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Fairbanks, AK
Posts: 1,847
Rewards Points: 1,000
Default

Cold Basement Floor


I think you have a nearly impossible task. If carpet is not enough, and you don't want to raise the floor and foam it, you're in a tough spot. No matter what you do, if there is no insulation under the slab, you are going to be pumping heat down there. Bummer. We put lock-together hard foam blocks (like for a playroom) over a very cold slab and they helped a lot. Perhaps that and carpet/more pad will help enough. OR, use the radiant heat you install w/in plywood that has pre-routed grooves for the pex. That would be a minimal height change, but still you will be blowing heat into the earth pretty badly. No ideal solutions.
jklingel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2010, 06:37 AM   #9
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Southern Ontario
Posts: 56
Rewards Points: 75
Default

Cold Basement Floor


I used this stuff after we had water in our basement.You can buy them by 4x8 sheets or the roll(which i bought). It is a little expensive however if you decide to put laminate down you can go directly on top of it eliminating the need for a subfloor.

http://www.cosella-dorken.com/bvf-ca...roducts/fl.php
zoolou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2010, 09:09 AM   #10
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: atl & hilton head
Posts: 3,442
Rewards Points: 2,466
Default

Cold Basement Floor


no matter what, the floor'll be cold reflecting ambient earth temp under the slab HOWEVER you can attach elec heating mats to the existing conc then cover w/polymer-modified concrete w/VERY fine aggregate,,, usually, because of $, its only done in bathrooms
stadry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2010, 10:28 PM   #11
Concrete & Masonry
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 2,796
Rewards Points: 2,144
Default

Cold Basement Floor


If the house is burned out and requiring vast work already, why not cut a new set of stringers & treads?
jomama45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 09:28 AM   #12
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: N.VA
Posts: 52
Rewards Points: 75
Default

Cold Basement Floor


Quote:
Originally Posted by jklingel View Post
I think you have a nearly impossible task. If carpet is not enough, and you don't want to raise the floor and foam it, you're in a tough spot. No matter what you do, if there is no insulation under the slab, you are going to be pumping heat down there. Bummer. We put lock-together hard foam blocks (like for a playroom) over a very cold slab and they helped a lot. Perhaps that and carpet/more pad will help enough. OR, use the radiant heat you install w/in plywood that has pre-routed grooves for the pex. That would be a minimal height change, but still you will be blowing heat into the earth pretty badly. No ideal solutions.

Raising the floor is probably the best solution seeing the slab is already poured. The PEX radiant solution will probably be turned down because of the cost to install and operate. Although it would be one of my top choices.
Nucon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 09:33 AM   #13
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: N.VA
Posts: 52
Rewards Points: 75
Default

Cold Basement Floor


Quote:
Originally Posted by DrHicks View Post
I got the impression he did not want to use carpet.

Personally, I'd think this would be a pointless expense if you were going to carpet.

Oops, sorry. The flooring finish is still "undecided" but our discussions have been about installing pad and carpet. If the homeowner does go with carpet I'll push a moisture guard padding.
Nucon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 09:45 AM   #14
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: N.VA
Posts: 52
Rewards Points: 75
Default

Cold Basement Floor


Quote:
Originally Posted by zoolou View Post
I used this stuff after we had water in our basement.You can buy them by 4x8 sheets or the roll(which i bought). It is a little expensive however if you decide to put laminate down you can go directly on top of it eliminating the need for a subfloor.

http://www.cosella-dorken.com/bvf-ca...roducts/fl.php
Thats what I like about reaching out to this board. You get exposed to a new products and ideas. I never seen this product before.

Looks like using this product with carpeting requires a built up floor system. After reading the FAQ on their website it looks like a radiant floor system can be used as well. I know the client wants a click and lock laminate floor in their sunroom so maybe the woudlnt mind a laminate floor system in the basement as well. I'll have to bring this up in our next meeting.
Nucon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 09:49 AM   #15
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: N.VA
Posts: 52
Rewards Points: 75
Default

Cold Basement Floor


Quote:
Originally Posted by itsreallyconc View Post
no matter what, the floor'll be cold reflecting ambient earth temp under the slab HOWEVER you can attach elec heating mats to the existing conc then cover w/polymer-modified concrete w/VERY fine aggregate,,, usually, because of $, its only done in bathrooms
Yeah, the polymer will up the cost. The heat mats and controls alone will be a nice drop in the bucket too.

Advertisement

Nucon is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Question About Basement Floor Drains Mozart Plumbing 3 12-05-2010 03:19 PM
At a crossroads in my basement project - waterproofing help needed callisto9 Building & Construction 35 10-28-2010 03:01 AM
Basement Floor Variance Allowance When Installing Ceramic Tile june Introductions 0 10-26-2010 11:09 AM
Ugly Cold Floor in Basement Washroom Makes Wife Grumpy slydevil Flooring 7 02-11-2010 09:10 AM
How to fix cold floor - air intrusion from basement Leah Frances Building & Construction 4 01-13-2009 10:26 AM




Top of Page | View New Posts