Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-17-2007, 12:20 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 1,016

Coffered Ceilings

What is the real benefit of these besides "architectural detail?" I'm looking at a house to buy and one has these in the family room and just makes the ceiling lower. I might remove them. How are they usually added to the ceiling? I don't think they provide any structural support.

handy man88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2007, 10:28 PM   #2
Kyle Emerick

Rewards Points: 75

Coffered Ceilings

They are almost always cosmetic as the span between them would be too abnormal for them to be structural. The easiest way to determine if they are structural is to get up in the attic and see if any roof supports go down to them. I bet not...

If you do remove them, you going to be re-drywalling or your looking at a massive amount of patching that will most likely sag or crack over time. Without seeing it I would say yes they can be removed, but you will be drywalling the whole ceiling in that area when done... which is however not a big deal.

Old 10-18-2007, 02:02 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 1,016

Coffered Ceilings

Quote:
Originally Posted by kemerick View Post
They are almost always cosmetic as the span between them would be too abnormal for them to be structural. The easiest way to determine if they are structural is to get up in the attic and see if any roof supports go down to them. I bet not...

If you do remove them, you going to be re-drywalling or your looking at a massive amount of patching that will most likely sag or crack over time. Without seeing it I would say yes they can be removed, but you will be drywalling the whole ceiling in that area when done... which is however not a big deal.
Thanks for your response. The coffered ceiling is in the family room on the 1st floor. There is also a second floor, so there's nothing to look behind to determine what is going on.

I wonder what type of material is used for the coffered celings. I would assume it's framed out (kind of like a tray ceiling) and the ceiling's faux beams are just drywall.
handy man88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2007, 05:11 AM   #4
Lic. Builder/GC/Remodeler

Rewards Points: 2,000

Coffered Ceilings

Quote:
Originally Posted by handy man88 View Post
Thanks for your response. The coffered ceiling is in the family room on the 1st floor. There is also a second floor, so there's nothing to look behind to determine what is going on.

I wonder what type of material is used for the coffered celings. I would assume it's framed out (kind of like a tray ceiling) and the ceiling's faux beams are just drywall.
General construction makeup of a coffered ceiling:

http://www.taunton.com/finehomebuild...-ceilings.aspx
AtlanticWBConst. is offline   Reply With Quote