Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-15-2010, 03:33 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

Code Violation?

I want to put a recessed light between the joists in my ceiling, no biggie right? However, the light would split a copper hw pipe currently residing in the middle of the two joists. The gap between the power box and actual can is where the copper pipe would reside (split the uprights). Is this a big no no or code violation. I am desperate for room and I would really love for this to work. I dont feel like rerouting a hw line over 6in.

rdtour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010, 04:02 PM   #2
Remodeling Contractor

Code Violation?

If this light is an IC type and can fit into this space than there is no code violation.

Bob Mariani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010, 04:07 PM   #3

Code Violation?

What do you mean by split the hw line ?
Will it touch the hw line ?
If not no problem, if it will you may get vibration
Scuba_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010, 04:16 PM   #4
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Code Violation?

Just a thought. I think it dangerous for any of us to be commenting on building codes, knowing only those where we are, and not were you are. Some are common but not all.

Where are you?
user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010, 04:31 PM   #5

Code Violation?

I did not p/u the ic rated one, they were out at my local hd. I live in illinois. the copper pipe does not touch any part of the light assembly, there is an 1 1/2 between the power box (splice box) and the light fixture (its one assembly). The copper pipe splits it. Now I did not consider water hammer or vibrations. But I've been working down here a lot and have not noticed any vibrations. Its just a hw to a sink in the half bath. I know I have to be 3" away from insulation since its a non ic fixture. But I figure copper is not very flamable is it? Plus, it'll help warm up the water in my HW pipe right?

At this point, I'll just give her a shot and see if my city inspector will pass it come next inspection. Thanks all for your advice!

Last edited by rdtour; 01-15-2010 at 04:44 PM.
rdtour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2010, 07:12 AM   #6
Remodeling Contractor

Code Violation?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdsester View Post
Just a thought. I think it dangerous for any of us to be commenting on building codes, knowing only those where we are, and not were you are. Some are common but not all.

Where are you?
Codes have some variances, but follow the same idea of safety for humans and from fire hazards. Electrical codes are written by the fire protection agency. Cananda has some differences, but are based on USA NEC code to the most extent. You are correct, code in my area is slightly (possibly) different than in IL. But the issue is that the OP is proposing a safe installation.
Old 01-16-2010, 09:47 AM   #7
Framing Contractor

Code Violation?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdtour View Post
I want to put a recessed light between the joists in my ceiling, no biggie right? However, the light would split a copper hw pipe currently residing in the middle of the two joists. The gap between the power box and actual can is where the copper pipe would reside (split the uprights). Is this a big no no or code violation. I am desperate for room and I would really love for this to work. I dont feel like rerouting a hw line over 6in.
Call your inspector and ask.
Old 01-16-2010, 10:07 AM   #8
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Code Violation?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Mariani View Post
Codes have some variances, but follow the same idea of safety for humans and from fire hazards. Electrical codes are written by the fire protection agency. Cananda has some differences, but are based on USA NEC code to the most extent. You are correct, code in my area is slightly (possibly) different than in IL. But the issue is that the OP is proposing a safe installation.
Come visit Bob. Inspections can be nightmarish here. In Champaign it was up to $30 an outlet for the inspectors to come out and plug a circuit tester in.

I cannot do any electrical work on projects anymore unless I know a licensed electrical contractor that will sign off on my work. Fortunately I do, and they know my work.

I understand the goal of the OP to just do something safe. That is not enough where I am anymore. And probably for good reason. I have unraveled some crazy things DIYsers have done when it comes to electricity.

I say again, I don't think any of us should be commenting on how to meet code, when we do not know it specific to the poster's location.
user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2010, 10:14 AM   #9
Learning by Doing

Code Violation?

I'm a lawyer and I no longer practice law because I got sick to death of all the CYA. The forum provides this:

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. DIYChatroom.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any home improvement task!

I think this is enough.

I hope that people knowledgeable about safety and code issues continue to contribute their valuable comments and experiences (no one's getting paid, right?) without having to couch every single comment with some BS disclaimer.

Keep up the good work.
Old 01-16-2010, 10:31 AM   #10
Remodeling Contractor

Code Violation?

I think I can offer safe advise on electrical code issues. I have had an electrical license since 1968 and held E1 masters license in 7 different states. I am aware of the differences.