DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum (
-   Building & Construction (
-   -   code question? (

yellowkid 03-02-2013 09:55 AM

code question?
I'm relatively new here so apologies for what is I'm sure an obvious question but i live in nj and have a code question about an addition I'm planning -- is there a good or proper place for this kind of question?

AndyGump 03-02-2013 10:06 AM

Ask the question then we can give you guidance perhaps.


Daniel Holzman 03-02-2013 10:07 AM

The best place to ask a code question would be at the office of your local code enforcement official who deals with the specific question area you have. Could be the building inspector, might be the zoning enforcement official, could be the Board of Health. You can certainly ask any code question you like on this forum, but you cannot rely on any answers, since only the local code enforcement official has jurisdiction.

yellowkid 03-02-2013 02:13 PM

thanks both of you. Again i live in NJ and I'm planning an addition that will have a bath/laundry mudroom on the ground floor and bedroom above. 18X18XX23H. the original house was built around 1850 or so. I'm planning to connect the two by turning existing windows on the original structure in to doors on the ground and second floors. I'm hoping i can access the bedroom upstairs through a small den but i saw somewhere that you can't connect a bedroom through another room? is that true? the age of the house and existing floor plan really limit my options in connecting directly to the upstairs hall. also saw somewhere that the bedroom egress window has to be bigger in NJ? I read the min. width of 20 in./min. height of 24 in./net clear opening of at least 5.7 sq. ft. criteria but is jersey different? thanks again.

joecaption 03-02-2013 02:17 PM

All good questions for your building inspector.

TheCamper 03-03-2013 08:46 PM

The direction previously provided is good. Your local authority having jurisdiction (AHJ) is the place to go as his interpretation of the Code is what is important. The ICC states the following in the Property Maintenance Code.

404.4.2 Access from bedrooms.
shall not constitute the only means of access to other bedrooms or habitable spaces and shall not serve as the only means of egress from other habitable spaces.

Units that contain fewer than two bedrooms.

My understanding is that the bedroom requires privacy and so can not provide the only means of access to a different room. But again, as already mentioned, this is where it is best to speak with your AHJ.

GBrackins 03-03-2013 09:09 PM

and for your reading pleasure

like the others a quick call to your local building department will provide you with useful answers. good luck!

jagans 03-03-2013 09:11 PM

You really need to go to your building inspector in NJ. The codes differ from town to town.

You probably need a much bigger emergency egress in NJ in case the governor is staying over night and you have a fire!

I had to throw that one in, sorry. :laughing::laughing::laughing::laughing:

GBrackins 03-03-2013 09:13 PM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:13 PM.

vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.1